Date:	Mon, 12 Jan 2009 11:48:26 -0500
From:	Robin Getz <rgetz@...ckfin.uclinux.org>
To:	netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: 802.1Q support?

I'm trying to understand the "standard" way to control a switch which supports
VLAN.

Pick any one of:

Infineon XWAY ADM6999 (eight-port 10/100 plus one MII)
http://www.infineon.com/cms/en/product/channel.html?channel=ff80808112ab681d0112ab68ce8d0043

Micrel MS8993M (2 port 10/100 plus one MII)
http://www.micrel.com/_PDF/Ethernet/ks8993m_pb.pdf

Broadcom BCM5325E (five port 10/100 plus one MII)
http://www.broadcom.com/collateral/pb/5325E-PB00-R.pdf

Realtek (five port 10/100 plus one MII)
http://www1.futureelectronics.com/doc/REALTEK%20SEMICONDUCTOR/Realtek%20Semiconductor%20RTL8306SD-GR.pdf

They all have multiple MAC/PHYs which are exposed to the wire, and a single
MII interface - which normally connects directly to a SOC's MII/MAC.

I would have thought that there would be separate drivers for these in the
phylib, but I didn't find anything that looked like it would work. (or expose
the right interface (all the vendor specific VLAN registers) so I can program
them properly from userspace)...

It is possible to hack up the specific EMAC driver to do everything, but that
doesn't seem like the right way to do it...

Any pointers appreciated.

Thanks.