Date:	Thu, 22 Jan 2009 23:40:59 +0100
From:	Vitaly Mayatskikh <v.mayatskih@...il.com>
To:	Eric Dumazet <dada1@...mosbay.com>
Cc:	Vitaly Mayatskikh <v.mayatskih@...il.com>,
	David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>, netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: speed regression in udp_lib_lport_inuse()

At Thu, 22 Jan 2009 23:06:59 +0100, Eric Dumazet wrote:

> > 		err = bind(s, (const struct sockaddr*)&sa, sizeof(sa));
>
> Bug here, if bind() returns -1 (all ports are in use)

Yeah, there was assert(), but the program drops to problems very soon,
I was lazy to handle this situation correctly and just removed it ;)

> > Thanks!
>
> Hello Vitaly, thanks for this excellent report.
>
> Yes, current code is really not good when all ports are in use :
>
> We now have to scan 28232 [1] times long chains of 220 sockets.
> Thats very long (but at least thread is preemptable)
>
> In the past (before patches), only one thread was allowed to run in kernel while scanning
> udp port table (we had only one global lock udp_hash_lock protecting the whole udp table).

Very true, my (older) kernel with udp_hash_lock just become totally
unresponsive after running this test. .29-rc2 become jerky only, but
still works.

> This thread was faster because it was not slowed down by other threads.
> (But the rwlock we used was responsible for starvations of writers if many UDP frames
> were received)
>

> One way to solve the problem could be to use following :
>
> 1) Raising UDP_HTABLE_SIZE from 128 to 1024 to reduce average chain lengths.
>
> 2) In bind(0) algo, use rcu locking to find a possible usable port. All cpus can run in //, without
> dirtying locks. Then lock the found chain and recheck port is available before using it.

I think 2 is definitely better than 1, because 1 is not actually
fixing anything, but postpones the problem slightly.

> [1] replace 28232 by your actual /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_local_port_range values
> 61000 - 32768 = 28232
>
> I will try to code a patch before this week end.

Cool!

> Thanks
>
> Note : I tried to use a mutex to force only one thread in bind(0) code but got no real speedup.
> But it should help if you have a SMP machine, since only one cpu will be busy in bind(0)

You saved my time, I was thinking about trying mutexes also. Thanks :)

--
wbr, Vitaly