Date:	Wed, 4 Feb 2009 11:46:35 -0500
From:	Wesley Chow <wchow@...enacr.com>
To:	netdev@...r.kernel.org
Cc:	Kenny Chang <kchang@...enacr.com>
Subject: Re: Multicast packet loss

>>> Yeah, these are quad core systems.  The 8 cpu system is a dual-
>>> processor  quad-core.  The other is my desktop, single cpu quad
>>> core.

Just to be clear: on the 2 x quad core system, we can run with a
2.6.15 kernel and see no packet drops. In fact, we can run with
2.6.19, 2.6.20, and 2.6.21 just fine. 2.6.22 is the first kernel that
shows problems.

Kenny posted results from a working setup on a different machine.

What I would really like to know is if whatever changed between 2.6.21
and 2.6.22 that broke things is confined just to bnx2. To make this a
rigorous test, we would need to use the same machine with a different
nic, which we don't have quite yet. An Intel Pro 1000 ethernet card is
in the mail as I type this.

I also tried forward porting the bnx2 driver in 2.6.21 to 2.6.22
(unsuccessfully), and building the most recent driver from the
Broadcom site to Ubuntu Hardy's 2.6.24. The most recent driver with
hardy 2.6.24 showed similar packet dropping problems. Hm, perhaps I'll
try to build the most recent broadcom driver against 2.6.21.

Wes