Date:	Fri, 6 Feb 2009 10:52:23 +1100
From:	Herbert Xu <herbert@...dor.apana.org.au>
To:	Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>
Cc:	David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>, jeff.chua.linux@...il.com,
	rjw@...k.pl, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org, netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: commit 64ff3b938ec6782e6585a83d5459b98b0c3f6eb8 breaks rlogin

On Thu, Feb 05, 2009 at 03:32:20PM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> Why is there even any discussion?
>
> URG is broken as a concept, no sane/modern use case exists. It's totally
> uninteresting _except_ as a "legacy binary" issue, so
>
>  - there's no point in trying to "improve" it.
>
>  - even just a whiff of "breaks legacy app" just says "revert it".
>
> No?

It's more complex than that.  We'll need to do exactly this in
the future in order to support IPv6 jumbograms because that's
the only way to use the 16-bit urgent pointer in a packet bigger
than 64K.  It's also what RFC2675 (http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2675,
section 5.2) prescribes.

IPv6 jumbograms are absolutely required if we ever want to move
beyond 10Gb/s Ethernet.

But as we're still struggling with 10Gb/s Ethernet, I'm fine with
a revert for now while we look for a fix for rlogin.

Cheers,
Email: Herbert Xu ~{PmV>HI~} <herbert@...dor.apana.org.au>