Date:	Tue, 10 Feb 2009 00:36:06 +0100
From:	Patrick McHardy <kaber@...sh.net>
To:	David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>
CC:	netdev@...r.kernel.org, netfilter-devel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: netfilter 00/05: netfilter fixes

David Miller wrote:
> From: Patrick McHardy <kaber@...sh.net>
> Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2009 23:47:07 +0100
>
>> David Miller wrote:
>>> From: Patrick McHardy <kaber@...sh.net>
>>> Date: Mon,  9 Feb 2009 17:39:27 +0100 (MET)

>>> I was going to pull from your tree and take it like that, but when I
>>> pulled I got 5 real changes and 50 merges with net-2.6, yikes! :-)
>> Ugh sorry, thats happening automatically, but it usually doesn't show
>> up since it should be fast forwards. I'll have a look at what went
>> wrong.
>
> I think you got a change into your tree locally, this went via net-2.6
> and thereafterwards it started using merges.  But that's just a guess.

Yes, probably, although I really never commit to my mirrored trees.
It might have something to do with my disk dying last week and the
restore I did :)

> Want some suggestions for work flow? :-)
>
> 1) For net-2.6 just clone Linus's tree, pull net-2.6 once as it is
>    right now, then leave it alone.
>
>    Periodically sync your origin (which is Linus's tree) via
>    "git fetch origin".  This just grabs the objects.
>
>    Then you can just go "git request-pull origin $(GIT_URL)" and
>    it'll just work.
>
>    Since the likelyhood for conflicts in the net-2.6 tree with
>    your netfilter work is incredibly unlikely, doing a merge
>    should never be necessary.  But if it is just go
>    "git pull origin".
>
> 2) For net-next-2.6 use net-next-2.6 as your "origin" (you can change
>    this in .git/config), conflicts are more likely so every once in
>    a while a "git pull origin" will be necessary.
>
> If that doesn't work out or feel comfortable for you, that's
> fine.

I'll try that, maybe starting with net-2.6 since that tree is
easier to maintain for me. My workflow is quite out of sync
with modern git commands, some of my scripts are still adapted
from bitkeeper times :)