Date:	Tue, 31 Mar 2009 23:14:00 -0700
From:	Alexander Duyck <alexander.duyck@...il.com>
To:	Leonid Grossman <Leonid.Grossman@...erion.com>
Cc:	Yu Zhao <yu.zhao@...el.com>,
	Ramkrishna Vepa <Ramkrishna.Vepa@...erion.com>,
	"Duyck, Alexander H" <alexander.h.duyck@...el.com>,
	Netdev <netdev@...r.kernel.org>,
	David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>
Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] New driver vxge for Neterion's X3100 series10GbEPCIe
	adapter

On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 10:44 PM, Leonid Grossman
<Leonid.Grossman@...erion.com> wrote:

> [...]

The fact is not all drivers will want to enable all of the VFs just
because they can.  I know in the case of igb I actually prefer to have
the default as not enabling all the VFs because as soon as we do the
PF itself is no longer multiqueue capable due to the fact that the
resources are distributed between the PF and the VFs.

The actual calls themselves are fairly small in terms of enabling
things.  The pci_enable_sriov call will check before hand if the PCI
Config space for SR-IOV exists so it is safe to call in either the VFs
or on the PF.  Also from our testing internally we prefer to limit the
number of VFs allocated to just what is needed since we have seen it
can be difficult to sort out PFs and VFs because they can be allocated
in such a way that you have to go through with ethtool -i to identify
the pci bus/device/function in order to even figure out which port any
given interface belongs to.