Date:	Tue, 07 Apr 2009 07:16:51 -0700
From:	Jay Vosburgh <fubar@...ibm.com>
To:	Or Gerlitz <ogerlitz@...taire.com>
cc:	netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: zero features for a vlan over bond

Or Gerlitz <ogerlitz@...taire.com> wrote:

>Using vconfig and the 8021q modules I have created a vlan device over a
>bond (e.g bond0.4001 over bond0 which is over eth0,eth1) - but for some
>reason the vlan device has no features - any idea what may be the reason
>for that? below is the flags/features matrix (eth0/1 are igb, 2.6.29)
>
>device		flags	features
>================================
>bond0.4001	0x1403	0x0
>bond0		0x1403	0x1113a9
>eth0/1		0x1803	0x111ba9

	The features system now has a dev->vlan_features that lists the
features that will work through a vlan; bond_compute_features isn't
using netdev_increment/fix_features to additionally compute the
vlan_features, so that's ending up always empty even if the underlying
device supports vlan passthrough.

	I suspect a bridge will display the same symptoms.

	I'm working on a patch; I'll see what I can come up with.  Note,
however, that at this writing, the set of drivers that explicitly
supports VLAN passthrough (a non-zero vlan_features) is rather limited.

	-J

---
	-Jay Vosburgh, IBM Linux Technology Center, fubar@...ibm.com