Date:	Sun, 12 Apr 2009 09:06:03 -0700
From:	Stephen Hemminger <shemminger@...tta.com>
To:	paulmck@...ux.vnet.ibm.com
Cc:	Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>,
	David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>,
	Ingo Molnar <mingo@...e.hu>,
	Lai Jiangshan <laijs@...fujitsu.com>,
	jeff.chua.linux@...il.com, dada1@...mosbay.com, jengelh@...ozas.de,
	kaber@...sh.net, r000n@...0n.net,
	netfilter-devel@...r.kernel.org, netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: iptables very slow after commit
 784544739a25c30637397ace5489eeb6e15d7d49

On Sat, 11 Apr 2009 17:34:45 -0700
"Paul E. McKenney" <paulmck@...ux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 11, 2009 at 11:57:16AM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> >

> > On Fri, 10 Apr 2009, Paul E. McKenney wrote:
> > >
> > > 1.	Assuming that the synchronize_net() is intended to guarantee
> > > 	that the new rules will be in effect before returning to
> > > 	user space:
> >
> > Btw, I think that's a bad assumption.
>
> It does indeed appear to be!
>
> > The thing is, nobody can really care if the new rules are in effect or
> > not, because the thing you race with is not the "return to user space"
> > part, but the incoming packets.
> >
> > And those incoming packets might have been incoming before the rules were
> > set up too.
> >
> > So I seriously doubt you need to synchronize with any returning to user
> > space. What you want to synchronize with is then later actions that do
> > things like turning on the interface that the rules are attached to etc!
> >
> > So I would suggest:
> >
> >  - remove the synchronize_net() entirely. Replace it with just freeing the
> >    old rules using RCU.
> >
> >  - new packets will always end up seeing the new rules. That includes the
> >    case of somebody doing "ifconfig eth0 up" that enables a new source of
> >    packets, so there are no real security issues.
> >
> >  - if you enabled your network interfaces before you updated your packet
> >    filtering rules, you already had a window where packets would come in
> >    with the old rules, so doing a "synchronize_net()" in no way protects
> >    against any race conditions anyway.
> >
> > Am I missing something?
>
> The issue at this point seems to be the need to get accurate snapshots
> of various counters -- there are a number of Linux networking users who
> need to account for every byte flowing through their systems.  However,
> it is also necessary to update these counters very efficiently, given
> that they are updated on a per-packet basis.  The current approach is
> as follows:
>
> 1.	Install a new set of counters.
>
> 2.	Wait for a grace period to elapse.
>
> 3.	At this point, we know that all subsequent counting will happen
> 	on the new set of counters.
>
> 4.	Add the value of the old set of counters to the new set of
> 	counters.
>
> 5.	Copy the old set of counters up to user space.
>
> So we get a good snapshot in #5, while #4 ensures that we don't lose
> any counts when taking future snapshots.  Unfortunately, #2 hits us
> with grace-period latencies on the critical path.
>
> We are going through the following possibilities:
>
> o	Stick with the current approach, and ask people to move to
> 	new batch-oriented interfaces.  However, a 30x decrease in
> 	performance is pretty grim, even for an old-style interface.
>
> o	Use various atomic tricks to get an immediate snapshot of the
> 	old counters after step 1.  Make step 3 use call_rcu() instead
> 	of synchronize_rcu(), and then step 4 happens off the
> 	critical path.
>
> 	This approach moves the RCU grace period off of the critical
> [...]

We could also try:
  * per-cpu spinlock on counters (instead of synchronize_net).
    When doing update, just acquire
    lock on that cpu and futz with counters then. Overhead should
    still be less than 2.6.29 and earlier global rwlock

  * synchonize_rcu/synchronize_net is more guarantee than needed?

  * use on_each_cpu() somehow to do grace periood?

  * Add a cond_resched() into net_rx_action which might cause rx processing
    to get out of rcu sooner? also in transmit packet scheduler.