Date:	Tue, 9 Jun 2009 16:08:01 +0300
From:	Gil Beniamini <gil.beniamini@...il.com>
To:	Patrick McHardy <kaber@...sh.net>
Cc:	David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org,
	netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: SOCK_RAW does not receive broadcast (with VLAN unless PROMISC)

Patrick,
On the specific NIC (eth1) no vlan is defined, and in the new Linux
the application receive NOTHING at all. In order to debug, I start
"wireshark as root" and "wireshark" set PROMISC on, and the
application start receive the raw packets as expected. Later I started
setting PROMISC by my application, and it can receive the packets even
when "wireshark" is not running.
The problem that I have with PROMISC mode, is that I need to do the
irelevant  unicast filtering in software rather than get it from the
hardware (as it works in old kernel 2.6.20).
Thanks a lot, Gil