Date:	Mon, 15 Jun 2009 11:19:27 +0000
From:	Jarek Poplawski <jarkao2@...il.com>
To:	=?ISO-8859-2?Q?Pawe=B3_Staszewski?=
	<pstaszewski@...are.pl>
Cc:	Linux Network Development list <netdev@...r.kernel.org>,
	Jamal Hadi Salim <hadi@...erus.ca>
Subject: Re: iproute2 action/policer question

On 09-06-2009 22:10, Paweł Staszewski wrote:
> Hello
>
> I ask this question here
> Someone here know proper use of iproute actions/policers ?
> i want to achive somethink like this

Hi,
I'm not actions/policers expert but here are a few comments.

> $TC qdisc del dev eth0 root
>
> $TC qdisc add dev eth0 root handle 1: hfsc default 10
>

> $TC class add dev eth0 parent 1:0 classid 1:2 hfsc ls m2 1kbit ul m2
> 10240kbit
> $TC class add dev eth0 parent 1:0 classid 1:3 hfsc ls m2 1kbit ul m2
> 10240kbit
> $TC class add dev eth0 parent 1:0 classid 1:10 hfsc ls m2 1kbit ul m2
> 10240kbit
>
> $TC filter add dev eth0 parent 1: protocol ip prio 2 u32 match ip src
> 10.0.0.1 flowid 1:2
> $TC qdisc add dev eth0 parent 1:2 handle 2: sfq perturb 120
> #$TC filter add dev eth0 parent 1: protocol ip prio 10 u32 match ip src
> 0/0 flowid 1:3
> $TC qdisc add dev eth0 parent 1:3 handle 3: sfq perturb 120
>

> #$TC filter add dev eth0 parent 1: protocol ip prio 10 u32 match ip src
> 0/0 flowid 1:3 action ipt -j MARK --set-mark 0x555 drop
>
> $TC filter add dev eth0 parent 1: protocol ip prio 10 u32 \
>   match ip src 0/0 flowid 1:3 \
>   action ipt -j MARK --set-mark 1 \
>   action police rate 1kbit burst 1k drop
>
> So i want to MARK packet by use of action then pass packet to next
> action and drop if exceed 1kbit
>
> This is only a sample but is not working

IMHO something like this should work. (I've checked it with a bit
higher police rates/burst and htb.) I'm not sure you've properly
checked the effects, because these stats below could be simply
not updated etc.

> tc -s -d filter show dev eth0
> filter parent 1: protocol ip pref 2 u32
> filter parent 1: protocol ip pref 2 u32 fh 800: ht divisor 1
> filter parent 1: protocol ip pref 2 u32 fh 800::800 order 2048 key ht
> 800 bkt 0 flowid 1:2  (rule hit 7913 success 7803)
>   match 5ef6801c/ffffffff at 12 (success 7803 )
> filter parent 1: protocol ip pref 10 u32
> filter parent 1: protocol ip pref 10 u32 fh 801: ht divisor 1
> filter parent 1: protocol ip pref 10 u32 fh 801::800 order 2048 key ht
> 801 bkt 0 flowid 1:3  (rule hit 110 success 110)
>   match 00000000/00000000 at 12 (success 110 )
>         action order 1: tablename: mangle  hook: NF_IP_POST_ROUTING
>         target MARK xset 0x1/0xffffffff
>         index 13 ref 1 bind 1 installed 407 sec used 2 sec
>         Action statistics:
>         Sent 42351 bytes 110 pkt (dropped 0, overlimits 0 requeues 0)
>         rate 0bit 0pps backlog 0b 0p requeues 0
>
>         action order 2:  police 0x4 rate 1000bit burst 1023b mtu 2Kb
> action drop overhead 0b
> ref 1 bind 1
>         Action statistics:
>         Sent 42351 bytes 110 pkt (dropped 0, overlimits 32 requeues 0)
>         rate 0bit 0pps backlog 0b 0p requeues 0
>
> iptables -L -n -v -t mangle

I don't know exactly the ipt action internals, so I could be wrong,
but it seems it marks packets as expected, but it could be done out
of the iptables chain so after these LOGs. Anyway, I managed to use it
with fw filter to classify according to the mark.

> Chain PREROUTING (policy ACCEPT 19M packets, 19G bytes)
>  pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source
> destination
>     0     0 LOG        all  --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0
> 0.0.0.0/0           mark match 0x1 LOG flags 0 level 4
>
> Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT 19M packets, 19G bytes)
>  pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source
> destination
>
> Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT 0 packets, 0 bytes)
>  pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source
> destination
>     0     0 LOG        all  --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0
> 0.0.0.0/0           mark match 0x1 LOG flags 0 level 4
>
> Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT 11M packets, 17G bytes)
>  pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source
> destination
>
> Chain POSTROUTING (policy ACCEPT 11M packets, 17G bytes)
>  pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source
> destination
>     0     0 LOG        all  --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0
> 0.0.0.0/0           mark match 0x1 LOG flags 0 level 4
>

> Also is there someone who knows which actions from iptables can be used
> in iproute2 ?

According to iproute2/doc/actions/actions_general mangle targets
should work; and you could also try (if it doesn't work then probably
it can't be used...;-)

But... I'm neither able to configure/compile it with the current
iproute2/iptables, nor test it with distro's builds (Debian testing).
After some checking I found iproute2 needs updating, because iptables
changes API (xtables.h) virtually with every new version, so I don't
even blame the ipt author or distro maintainer.

> because command like this ios not working:
> tc filter add dev eth0 parent 1: protocol ip prio 10 u32 match ip src
> 0/0 flowid 1:3 action ipt -j LOG
>  failed to find target LOG
>
> bad action parsing
> parse_action: bad value (3:ipt)!
> Illegal "action"
>

> iptables -t mangle -A FORWARD -j LOG
> is working.
> lsmod
> Module                  Size  Used by
> ipt_LOG                 4696  3
> act_ipt                 3776  1
> ifb                     3444  0
> act_mirred              3328  0
>

> What is the clue of this
> So i want to make filter rule on the end of some traffic management
> based on iproute2 (this filter rule will be like default class so it
> catch all unclassified traffic and LOG or MARK this traffic, and i can
> know that somewhere in my net is unclassified ip address.)
> Because in normal operation if you use only iproute2 you have default
> class and you dont know what is going to this default class - this is
> hard if you use hfsc because of default class that is always active and
> matches all traffic from interface that root is attached.

I guess, after studying these iproute2 docs examples you should be
able to do such tricks eg. with mirred and other actions even without
ipt. Or you could ask authors for more docs...

Cheers,
Jarek P.

PS: the tc classifier maintainer added to Cc.