Date:	Sat, 20 Jun 2009 01:05:14 -0700 (PDT)
From:	David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>
To:	Joel.Becker@...cle.com
Cc:	netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: TCP Persist Timer DoS

From: Joel Becker <Joel.Becker@...cle.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 15:31:06 -0700

> Hey Netfolk,
> 	I have to assume you've seen
> http://www.phrack.org/issues.html?issue=66&id=9&mode=txt.  Does anyone
> have a plan or opinion on the DoS?  A way to mitigate it, a -EDONTCARE
> opinion, anything?

This is just like every other "DoS" out there where the attacker has
to reveal it's IP identity to accomplish the attack, in that it is
trivial to protect using netfilter by limiting the number of
connections a host can make with your system.

There are thousands of ways to open up a ton of TCP connections and
have them sit in a dormant state infinitely.

Nothing is really new here.

I noticed some amusing things in the threads discussing this: "Is it
just me or can pretty much every web site in the world get turned off
now?"

Ok, Chicken Little, the sky is falling.