Date:	Fri, 14 Aug 2009 16:44:12 -0400
From:	Bill Fink <billfink@...dspring.com>
To:	Neil Horman <nhorman@...driver.com>
Cc:	Linux Network Developers <netdev@...r.kernel.org>, brice@...i.com,
	gallatin@...i.com
Subject: Re: Receive side performance issue with multi-10-GigE and NUMA

On Fri, 7 Aug 2009, Neil Horman wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 07, 2009 at 08:54:42PM -0400, Bill Fink wrote:
> > On Fri, 7 Aug 2009, Neil Horman wrote:
> >
> > > You're timing is impeccable!  I just posted a patch for an ftrace module to help
> > > detect just these kind of conditions:
> > > http://marc.info/?l=linux-netdev&m=124967650218846&w=2
> > >
> > > Hope that helps you out
> > > Neil
> >
> > Thanks!  It could be helpful.  Do you have a pointer to documentation
> > on how to use it?  And does it require the latest GIT kernel or could
> > it possibly be used with a 2.6.29.6 kernel?
> >
> > 						-Bill
>
> It should apply to 2.6.29.6 no problem (might take a little massaging, but not
> much).

It doesn't look like I can apply your patches to my 2.6.29.6 kernel.

For starters, there's no include/trace/events directory, so there's
no include/trace/events/skb.h.  There is an include/trace/skb.h file,
but there's no TRACE_EVENT defined anywhere in the kernel.

I don't suppose it's as simple as defining (from include/linux/tracepoint.h
from Linus's GIT tree):

#define PARAMS(args...) args

#define TRACE_EVENT(name, proto, args, struct, assign, print)   \
	DECLARE_TRACE(name, PARAMS(proto), PARAMS(args))

So do you still think it's reasonable to try applying your patches
to my 2.6.29.6 kernel, or should I get a newer kernel like 2.6.30.4
or 2.6.31-rc6?

						-Thanks

						-Bill