Date:	Sat, 29 Aug 2009 09:05:59 +0200
From:	Simon Holm Thøgersen <odie@...aau.dk>
To:	Johannes Stezenbach <js@...21.net>
Cc:	Jamie Lokier <jamie@...reable.org>, linux-embedded@...r.kernel.org,
	netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: 100Mbit ethernet performance on embedded devices

fre, 28 08 2009 kl. 16:41 +0200, skrev Johannes Stezenbach:
> On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 02:56:49PM +0200, Johannes Stezenbach wrote:

> > > You should see far fewer interrupts if NAPI was working properly.
> > > Rather than NAPI not being a win, it looks like it's not active at
> > > all.
> > >
> > > 7500/sec is close to the packet rate, for sending TCP with
> > > full-size ethernet packages over a 100Mbit ethernet link.
> >
> > From debug output I can see that NAPI works in principle, however
> > the timing seems to be such that ->poll() almost always completes
> > before the next packet is received.  I followed the NAPI_HOWTO.txt
> > which came with the 2.6.20 kernel.  The delay between irq ->
> > netif_rx_schedule() -> NET_RX_SOFTIRQ ->  ->poll()  doesn't seem
> > to be long enough.  But of course my understanding of NAPI is
> > very limited, probably I missed something...
>
> It would've been nice to get a comment on this.  Yeah I know,
> old kernel, non-mainline driver...

Tried porting the driver to mainline? That way you will get more than
two years of improvements to the networking stack including NAPI.

There was a rework of NAPI [1] around 2.6.24, you'd probably like to see
commit bea3348eef27e6044b6161fd04c3152215f96411. You could also ask the
linux driver project to help you make the driver suitable for mainline
inclusion.

[1] http://lwn.net/Articles/244640/

Simon Holm Thøgersen