Date:	Wed, 2 Sep 2009 01:28:30 -0400
From:	Bill Fink <billfink@...dspring.com>
To:	Bill Fink <billfink@...dspring.com>
Cc:	Neil Horman <nhorman@...driver.com>,
	Linux Network Developers <netdev@...r.kernel.org>,
	brice@...i.com, gallatin@...i.com
Subject: Re: Receive side performance issue with multi-10-GigE and NUMA

On Thu, 27 Aug 2009, Bill Fink wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Aug 2009, Neil Horman wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 03:10:57AM -0400, Bill Fink wrote:
> > >
> > > Fortunately, in this specific case, the SuperMicro X8DAH+-F system
> > > does have a serial console, and after a fair amount of effort I was
> > > able to get it to work as desired, and was able to finally capture
> > > a backtrace of the kernel oops.  BTW I believe the reason the
> > > kexec/kdump didn't work was probably because it couldn't find
> > > a /proc/vmcore file, although I don't know why that would be,
> > > and the Fedora 10 /etc/init.d/kdump script will then just boot
> > > up normally if it fails to find the /proc/vmcore file (or it's
> > > zero size).
> > >
> > I take care of kdump for fedora and RHEL.  If you file a bug on this, I'd be
> > happy to look into it further.
>
> It's odd.  kexec/kdump works fine with the 2.6.29.6-217.2.3.fc11.x86_64
> kernel from Fedora 11 (running on the Fedora 10 system).  I will try
> again with the kernel-2.6.31-0.174.rc7.git2.fc12.src.rpm from Fedora 12,
> in case it has some secret sauce in one of the Fedora patches to make
> the Fedora /etc/init.d/kdump script happy.  kexec/kdump is my preferred
> method of dealing with kernel oopses if I can get it to work.

The Fedora 12 kernel-2.6.31-0.174.rc7.git2 kernel didn't help with
the kexec/kdump issue, so I may file a bug if I can't figure anything
out.

Also that kernel had a huge performance hit on my tests.  Where I
usually get ~100 Gbps of aggregate transmit performance, I was instead
getting a mere 3 Gbps, with individual streams only getting about
200 to 400 Mbps.  If I get a chance, I'll have to try the vanilla
version to see if it has the same issue (a vanilla 2.6.31-rc6 is
fine).

						-Thanks

						-Bill