Date:	Fri, 18 Sep 2009 00:10:55 +0200
From:	Nicolas de Pesloüan
	<nicolas.2p.debian@...e.fr>
To:	Stephen Hemminger <shemminger@...tta.com>
CC:	Jay Vosburgh <fubar@...ibm.com>,
	bonding-devel@...ts.sourceforge.net, netdev@...r.kernel.org,
	Jiri Pirko <jpirko@...hat.com>
Subject: Re: Netlink API for bonding ?

Stephen Hemminger wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Sep 2009 23:44:30 +0200
> Nicolas de Pesloüan <nicolas.2p.debian@...e.fr> wrote:
>
>> Stephen Hemminger wrote:

>>> No paper spec, but was looking to add interface similar to vlan and macvlan.
>>> Just use (and extend if needed) existing rtnl_link_ops.
>>>

>>> Was not planning on adding a notification interface, thats good idea but
>>> really not what I was looking at.
>> What kind of notification system would you suggest to notify userland that a
>> given bond device just lose the current active slave ?
>
> First why should user land care?  Unless all slaves are gone maybe it
> should just be transparent.

Because we try to design a notification from kernel to userland when current
active slave fail, to give an opportunity to userland to decide which non-failed
slave should become the new active one. This is in order to try and move complex
decisions to userland, only keeping very simple "two slaves" decisions into the
kernel.

Think of it as the bonding counter part of moving STP to userland for bridge.
Userland should be able to decide which slave should be the active one for the
same reasons userland is able to decide which bridge port should be forwarding
and which should be blocked.

I assume that we cannot just try to make the current bridge userland
notification system more generic. May be I'm wrong. May be the ability to notify
port failure, port coming back and BPDU for bridge is a superset of what we need
to notify port failure and port coming back for bonding.

> Use existing link ops mechanism (see vlan and macvlan). You may need
> to add new operations, but these should be generic enough so that bonding and bridging
> have same operations.
>
>      .newlink => create bond device
>      .dellink => remove bond device
>      .newport => add slave
>      .delport => remove slave
>
> Also, dellink should always work (even if slaves are present).

This sounds perfect for setup, but might not be good the elect the "best" port
(active slave). Also, I assume a new RTNETLINK operation needs to be added for
that. I thought that this was what you were working on. Do I miss something ?
Does brctl use RTNETLINK for port setup ? Or do you plan to use iproute2 to
replace brctl in the futur ?

> The terminology slave is not widely used outside of bonding, and so probably
> shouldn't be buried in the API.

Yes, you are definitely right with this point.

	Nicolas.