Date:	Tue, 6 Oct 2009 21:41:28 +0200
From:	Sjur Brændeland <sjur.brandeland@...ricsson.com>
To:	"Stefano Babic" <stefano.babic@...ic.homelinux.org>
Cc:	<netdev@...r.kernel.org>,
	"Kim Lilliestierna XX" <kim.xx.lilliestierna@...ricsson.com>
Subject: RE: [7/8,RFC] CAIF Protocol Stack

Stefano Babic wrote:
> It seems that this command requires additional parameters as PRIO and
> PHYPREF, else a "parse error" is reported by the tool.

Yes, I'll fix this documentation in a new PATCH delivery (hopefully) this week.

>>"CAIF Protocol Specification" (155 19-CRH 109 913).
> Is this one an internal document or was it published and is available
> for reading ?

No, not yet unfortunately.

> Is phyif_msl.ko obsolete ? There is no track of the corresponding
> source file.

Yes, it is an obsolete physical interface no longer supported.
I have removed reference to it from documentation.

> $ modprobe caif
> $ modprobe phyif_ser
> $ echo 6 > /sys/class/caif/dbg_lvl
> $ ./ldiscd
> $./chardevconfig /dev/caifconfig - CREATE TYPE=AT NAME=chnlat10 DEVTYPE=CHAR PHYPREF=LAT PRIO=HI

This looks ok.

> and the system hangs. I could find after some instrumentation that
> the system hangs in the ser_phy_tx function. This is not a surprise,
> because the Uart TX function is never called. Have I missed something
> ?

Hmm, the hanging might be due to a tight loop in the phyif_ser.c:ser_phy_tx function.
[snip]
		do {
			tty_wr =
			    pser_tty->ops->write(pser_tty, bufp, actual_len);
			/* When not whole buffer is written,
			 * forward buffer pointer and try again */
			actual_len -= tty_wr;
			bufp += tty_wr;
		} while (actual_len);

If pser_tty->ops->write() returns zero it will loop infinetly.
I guess the proper solution would be not to loop, but to implement a write_wakeup function for the tty...?

BR/Sjur Brændeland