Date:	Thu, 08 Oct 2009 00:22:28 +0100
From:	Ben Hutchings <bhutchings@...arflare.com>
To:	Andrew Grover <andy.grover@...il.com>
Cc:	Herbert Xu <herbert@...dor.apana.org.au>, netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: using huge numbers of queues

On Wed, 2009-10-07 at 14:59 -0700, Andrew Grover wrote:
> Hi Herbert,
>
> At NetConf, you made a passing remark about wanting lots of queues,
> even 1-per-socket. Have you thought further about how we would use so
> many?
>
> Thinking about this reminded me of VJ's 2006 netchannel concept, which
> although not adopted, was pretty interesting. Would having 1 queue per
> socket (or at least 1 per process) and hw that is able to filter
> individual flows (I think the Intel 82599 can do this now for up to
> 128) perhaps make netchannels workable? At least this would get all
> processing out of int/bh and into process context, if not userspace,
> no?

Solarflare controllers already support 1000+ queues.  The OpenOnload
software <http://www.openonload.org> assigns one queue per process
(though this isn't quite 1:1 as sockets may be shared between processes)
and almost all protocol processing is done in user-space.  I'm not sure
quite how close this is to the netchannels concept.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings, Senior Software Engineer, Solarflare Communications
They asked us to note that Solarflare product names are trademarked.