Date:	Sat, 10 Oct 2009 13:47:39 +0530
From:	Sujit K M <sjt.kar@...il.com>
To:	Greg KH <greg@...ah.com>
Cc:	Matt Domsch <Matt_Domsch@...l.com>,
	Stephen Hemminger <shemminger@...tta.com>,
	netdev@...r.kernel.org, linux-hotplug@...r.kernel.org,
	Narendra_K@...l.com, jordan_hargrave@...l.com
Subject: Re: PATCH: Network Device Naming mechanism and policy

Greg,

> No, the hardware changes the enumeration order, it places _no_
> guarantees on what order stuff will be found in.  So this is not the
> kernel changing, just to be clear.
> Again, I have a machine here that likes to reorder PCI devices every 4th
> or so boot times, and that's fine according to the PCI spec.  Yeah, it's
> a crappy BIOS, but the manufacturer rightly pointed out that it is not
> in violation of anything.

I think the open call should be implemented then. By the patch very little
knowledge is being shared on type of network implementation it is trying to
do.Also it is messing with core datastructure and procedures. This seems
to be simplified by changing implementing the other operations like poll().

> That is why all distros name network devices based on the only
> deterministic thing they have today, the MAC address.  I still fail to
> see why you do not like this solution, it is honestly the only way to
> properly name network devices in a sane manner.

This is feature that needs to be implemented. As per the rules followed.

> All distros also provide a way to easily rename the network devices, to
> place a specific name on a specific MAC address, so again, this should
> all be solved already.
>
> No matter how badly your BIOS teams mess up the PCI enumeration order :)

This is an problem, But I think this can be solved by implementing some of the
routines in the network device.