Date:	Sat, 10 Oct 2009 11:14:52 -0700
From:	Casey Schaufler <casey@...aufler-ca.com>
To:	Paul Moore <paul.moore@...com>
CC:	Stephen Smalley <sds@...ho.nsa.gov>,
	Stephen Hemminger <shemminger@...ux-foundation.org>,
	linux-security-module@...r.kernel.org,
	Al Viro <viro@...iv.linux.org.uk>, netdev@...r.kernel.org,
	James Morris <jmorris@...ei.org>,
	Casey Schaufler <casey@...aufler-ca.com>
Subject: Re: Real networking namespace

Paul Moore wrote:
> On Friday 09 October 2009 12:44:52 pm Stephen Smalley wrote:

As I'll mention later, getting agreement on what qualifies as an
object in the networking stack ain't going to happen anytime soon.
Sure, routing tables are important components of the system's
state, but they don't qualify as objects under any definition of
objects with which I'm familiar. Similarly, a network device is
more like a disk controller than a directory, and no one I know
of wants to start doing access checks based on the disk controller
(file system, yes, controller, no) that a file resides on.

The ad hoc security mechanisms for networking include firewalls,
netfilter, and routing schemes. These are very interesting and
useful things, but they don't have anything to do with the
"subject accesses object" mindset. Trying to shoehorn them in
always results in tears.

> As Stephen points out, SELinux does have the ability to assign security labels
> to network interfaces, check out the 'semanage' command.  A while back I wrote
> up something about the SELinux network "ingress/egress" access controls:
>
>  * http://paulmoore.livejournal.com/2128.html
>
> Smack doesn't support controlling network access at the interface level, but
> that is due to a Smack design decision and not an inherent functionality gap
> in the LSM.

Paul is correct. A security model that includes network interface
devices as policy components has all the tools it needs at its
disposal. The Smack model does not consider network interface devices
as policy components. Certainly there are data import/export issues
that get raised with the Smack model, but they center around the
question of whether sending a packet on the network is in fact an
export and whether receiving a packet is an import. You can argue
it either way, and the implications are kind of painful whichever
way you choose. You really only want network interface devices as
policy components if you consider network traffic as import/export,
in which case you have serious work to do explaining why it is
acceptable to do multi-label import/export over that media.

Smack treats incoming packets as IPC messages from subjects that
may be elsewhere. The label on the packet, which may be based on
the host the packet came from, is the only information that Smack
cares about.