Date:	Tue, 13 Oct 2009 08:21:17 -0400
From:	jamal <hadi@...erus.ca>
To:	Denys Fedoryschenko <denys@...p.net.lb>
Cc:	netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: kernel mode pppoe ppp if + ifb + mirred redirect, ethernet
	packets in ifb?!

On Tue, 2009-10-13 at 01:44 +0300, Denys Fedoryschenko wrote:

> It kills me :-) Each new version it doesn't work and i notice, i'm almost one
> who use it :-) Probably i should wait till netfilter API and iptables
> conversion will stabilize somehow.

I am a little frustrated - but yeah, waiting may help. I tend to do a
lot of private support to fix integration with iptables problems, so you
are not the only user ;->. I wish one distro gets it right.
The most hopeful seems to be debian.

> Plus skbedit in some cases will be faster, if i eliminate iptables, unloading
> modules even, basic filtering can be done by iproute2 too, i won't have
> netfilter locks that make things slow on SMP (at least what i heard here and
> what oprofile shows, that MARK was small CPU hog to compare with skbedit).

Makes sense.

> I am happily running 2k pppoe users on Quad Core CPU/on supercheap r8169
> (better nic not available here) with skbedit and flow classifier. It can do
> more even, i think.

I bet pppd in user space is probably your biggest problem in terms of
performance.

> After switching to skbedit things improve a lot (before 1k users was near max)

Not using netfilter will improve your numbers. So can skbedit do fwmark
as well?

> I can test even, even if he won't.
> As i understand, for pppoe case, he can just skip offset for ethernet and
> pppoe header, and he can filter by ip, or not?
> Current way is maybe better, cause someone who want to count everything with
> ethernet and pppoe headers - can, and who want without - also can (by setting
> offset , just a bit more difficult.
>
> Like
> /sbin/tc filter add dev eth1 protocol 0x8864  parent 2:0 prio 1 u32 \
> match u32 0x$IPREMOTE_HEX 0xffffffff at 24 flowid 2:$ID
> (found in LARTC)

yes, something like that.
It may be easier to tcpdump -x on both pppoe and ifb and see how the
packets look like at what offset. If that doesnt work well, I will work
on a patch...

cheers,
jamal