Date:	Thu, 15 Oct 2009 18:32:45 -0600
From:	dann frazier <dannf@...com>
To:	Narendra_K@...l.com
Cc:	netdev@...r.kernel.org, linux-hotplug@...r.kernel.org,
	Matt_Domsch@...l.com, Jordan_Hargrave@...l.com,
	Charles_Rose@...l.com
Subject: Re: PATCH: Network Device Naming mechanism and policy

On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 11:36:38AM -0600, dann frazier wrote:

> > >If the idea is just to provide a userspace-visible mapping
> > >(and presumably take advantage of udev's infrastructure for
> > >naming) does this need kernel changes? Could this be a
> > >hierarchy under e.g. /etc/udev instead, using plain text
> > >files? It still means we need something like libnetdevname for
> > >apps to do the translation, but I'm not seeing why it matters
> > >how this map is stored. Is there some special property of the
> > >character devices (e.g. uevents) that we're not already
> > >getting with the existing interfaces?
> >
> > Yes. The char device by itself doesn't help in any way. But it provides
> > a flexible mechanism to provide multiple names for the same device, just
> > the way it is for disks.
>
> Right - so any reason this couldn't be implemented completely in
> userspace by having udev manipulate plain text files under say
> /etc/udev/net/?
>
> I do agree that it would be nice for admins/installers to tweak/use
> nic names in a similar way to storage names (udev rules), and it might
> let us take advantage of a lot of the existing udev code.

Is there interest in this approach?

 - modify udev to manage network devices names as regular (non-device)
   files (stored in /etc/udev, /dev/netdev, or wherever)
 - use the existing udev rules to manage symlinks to these files
 - point libnetdevname at these text files for its name resolution

I've started prototyping this, and it certainly looks possible w/o any
kernel changes. However, I could probably use some advice from a udev
person to do a proper implementation.

--
dann frazier