Date:	Fri, 16 Oct 2009 09:08:59 +0200
From:	Eric Dumazet <eric.dumazet@...il.com>
To:	Willy Tarreau <w@....eu>
CC:	Julian Anastasov <ja@....bg>, David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>,
	netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: TCP_DEFER_ACCEPT is missing counter update

Willy Tarreau a écrit :
> On Fri, Oct 16, 2009 at 08:05:19AM +0200, Eric Dumazet wrote:
>>> Couldn't we just rely on the retrans vs rskq_defer_accept comparison ?
>>>
>> In this case, we lose TCP_DEFER_ACCEPT advantage in case one SYN-ACK was dropped
>> by the network : We wakeup the listening server when first ACK comes from client,
>> instead of really wait the request.
>>
>> I think being able to count pure-acks would be slighly better, and cost nothing.
>>

>> retrans is the number of SYN-RECV (re)sent, while req_acks would count number of
>> pure ACK received.
>>
>> Those numbers, in an ideal world should be related, but could differ in real world ?
>
> Yes it could differ if a pure ACK is lost between the client and the server,
> but in my opinion what is important is not to precisely account the number
> of ACKs to ensure we wake up exactly after XXX ACKs received, but that in
> most common situations we avoid to wake up too early.

We basically same thing, but you misundertood me. I was concerning about
one lost (server -> client SYN-ACK), not a lost (client -> server ACK) which is fine
(even without playing with TCP_DEFER_ACCEPT at all)

In this case, if we do the retrans test, we'll accept the first (client -> server ACK)
and wakeup the application, while most probably we'll receive the client request
 few milli second later.

> Also, keep in mind that the TCP_DEFER_ACCEPT parameter is passed in number
> of seconds by the application, which are in turn converted to a number of
> retransmits based on our own timer, which means that our SYN-ACK counter
> is what most closely matches the application's expected delay, even if an
> ACK from the client gets lost in between or if a client's stack retransmits
> pure ACKs very fast for any implementation-specific reason.

Well, this is why converting application delay (sockopt() argument) in second units
to a number of SYN-ACK counter is subobptimal and error prone.

This might be changed to be mapped to what documentation states : a number of seconds,
or even better a number of milli seconds (new TCP_DEFER_ACCEPT_MS setsockopt cmd),
because a high performance server wont play with > 1 sec values anyway.