Date:	Mon, 09 Nov 2009 14:03:07 +0100
From:	Johannes Berg <johannes@...solutions.net>
To:	Patrick McHardy <kaber@...sh.net>
Cc:	netdev <netdev@...r.kernel.org>, Jouni Malinen <j@...fi>,
	Thomas Graf <tgraf@...g.ch>
Subject: Re: [RFC] netlink: add socket destruction notification

On Mon, 2009-11-09 at 13:59 +0100, Patrick McHardy wrote:

> > Thanks for the explanation. I think we'd need the second condition
> > removed, I don't see a reason to force a socket to not also have
> > multicast RX if it's used for any of the purposes we're looking at this
> > for. Guess we need to audit the callees to determine whether that's ok.
>
> I've already done that. Its currently only used by netfilter
> for which this change also makes sense.

Cool, I arrived at that conclusion too, it seemed that it would
currently be somewhat strangely broken if you could add multicast groups
to those sockets used there. Not sure if you can though.

> > Can you quickly explain the difference between release and destruct?
>
> release is called when the socket is closed, destruct is called
> once all references are gone. I think with the synchonous processing
> done nowadays they shouldn't make any difference, but release
> should be fine in either case.

Ok, cool, thanks. Do you want me to send the change removing the
multicast check, or would you want to do that since you audited all the
netlink callers?

Also, it's called URELEASE for unicast -- should we rename it to just
RELEASE?

johannes

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (802 bytes)