Date:	Thu, 19 Nov 2009 14:22:43 +0530
From:	"Kumar Gopalpet-B05799" <B05799@...escale.com>
To:	"Eric Dumazet" <eric.dumazet@...il.com>,
	"David S. Miller" <davem@...emloft.net>
Cc:	"Linux Netdev List" <netdev@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: RE: [RFC] gianfar: multi queue stuff not complete

>I noticed gianfar got multiqueue support recently, but it
>still updates dev->stats.{tx_bytes|tx_packets|tx_dropped}
>without proper locking (several cpus could update stats at
>same time while xmitting on different tx queues)
>
>It should use txq->{tx_bytes|tx_packets|tx_dropped} to avoid
>wrong tx stats
>

>I cooked following preliminar patch but its only for
>discussion, because I dont know yet how to transform
>dev->stats.tx_dropped++; in gfar_error(), and also because I
>cannot compile this driver on my dev machine.
>
>(if a driver uses txq->tx... counters, it must not use any
>dev->stats.{tx_bytes|tx_packets|tx_dropped}
>that are overwritten by dev_txq_stats_fold(). Or we could
>change dev_txq_stats_fold() logic to get a mask of what fields
>a drivers updates in txq-> or dev->stats

Eric, Yes I agree that still there are a couple of changes left and I am
working on it.
One of them being the stats. Currently caught up in something else, I
will update them ASAP.

Also, suggest me on what kind of stats do I need to maintain ? Both per
device and per queue
or only per queue would be sufficient ?

--

Thanks