Date:	Mon, 1 Feb 2010 13:05:07 -0800
From:	"Ira W. Snyder" <iws@...o.caltech.edu>
To:	Wolfgang Grandegger <wg@...ndegger.com>
Cc:	"Pavel B. Cheblakov" <P.B.Cheblakov@....nsk.su>,
	Socketcan-core@...ts.berlios.de, netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [net-next-2.6 v2] can: add support for CAN interface cards
	based on the PLX90xx PCI bridge

On Mon, Feb 01, 2010 at 09:31:06PM +0100, Wolfgang Grandegger wrote:
> Ira W. Snyder wrote:
> > On Tue, Feb 02, 2010 at 01:42:44AM +0600, Pavel B. Cheblakov wrote:
> >> From: Pavel Cheblakov <P.B.Cheblakov@....nsk.su>
> >>
> >> This driver is for CAN interface cards based on the PLX90xx PCI bridge.
> >> Driver supports now:
> >>  - Adlink PCI-7841/cPCI-7841 card (http://www.adlinktech.com/)
> >>  - Adlink PCI-7841/cPCI-7841 SE card
> >>  - Marathon CAN-bus-PCI card (http://www.marathon.ru/)
> >>  - TEWS TECHNOLOGIES TPMC810 card (http://www.tews.com/)
> >>
> >> Changes since v1:
> >>  - Added some defines for static inline int plx_pci_check_sja1000(...)
> >>  - static struct pci_device_id plx_pci_tbl[] replaced by
> >>    static DEFINE_PCI_DEVICE_TABLE(plx_pci_tbl)
> >>  - Typo fixed
> >>

> > Hello,
> >
> > Any ideas if this driver could support the Janz PCI CAN cards as well? I
> > don't have any documentation for the cards, and I'd love to get away
> > from their closed-source drivers.
>
> Is it a passive or and intelligent CAN PCI card? What is the name of the
> card? A intelligent card will run its own firmware and you do not have
> direct access to the SJA1000. Pavel plx_pci driver is quite generic and
> it should not be a big deal to support a PLX90xx based passive card.

It is an intelligent CAN PCI card. I'm pretty sure they're the card
described here: http://www.janz.de/as/en/can-cp6/k2.html

Since this driver is for passive cards, it clearly won't work. Are there
any examples of drivers written for intelligent CAN cards? Until I found
the website above, I'd never seen any data sheets for this card. They
look like they may have enough information to write a driver to
interface with the new Linux CAN layer.

We should probably start a new thread about this, it is getting
off-topic for Pavel's CAN driver. Is the socketcan mailing list ok for
this kind of discussion?

Thanks,
Ira