Date:	Tue, 23 Feb 2010 08:38:23 +0100
From:	Jorrit Kronjee <j.kronjee@...opact.nl>
To:	"Tadepalli, Hari K" <hari.k.tadepalli@...el.com>
CC:	"netdev@...r.kernel.org" <netdev@...r.kernel.org>
Subject: Re: stress testing netfilter's hashlimit

Hari,

Thank you very much for your quick response. I have a follow-up question
however.

Tadepalli, Hari K wrote:
>>> Each of these are separate machines. The sender has a Gigabit Ethernet
>>> interface and sends ~410,000 packets per second (52 bytes Ethernet
>>> frames). The bridge has two Gigabit Ethernet interfaces, a quad core
>>> Xeon X3330 and is running Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic Koala) with kernel
>>> 2.6.31-19-generic-pae.
>>>

> This is a Penryn class quad core processor, advertized at 2.66GHz. On this platform & with PCI express NICs, you can expect an IPv4 forwarding rate of ~1 Mpps per CPU core. Given the processing cost involved in forwarding/routing a packet, it is not possible to approach line rate forwarding line rate on stock kernels. Looks like, @ 52B packets, you are using a packet size that will NOT be sufficient to fill a full UDP header in the packet.

You are writing that it's not possible with a stock kernel; what would I
need to change to the kernel to do make it work at higher speeds? My
goal is to be able to bridge/route a stable 1 Mpps.

> Coming to BRIDGING: I have not worked on bridging, but have seen anecdotal evidence that bridging costs far more CPU cycles than routing/forwarding (on a per packet basis). What you are observing seems to align well with this. You can play with a few platform level tunings; setting interrupt affinity of each NIC port to align with adjacent processor pair, as in:
>
> echo 1 > /proc/irq/22/smp_affinity
> echo 2 > /proc/irq/23/smp_affinity
>
> - assuming your NIC ports are assigned IRQs of 22 and 23 respectively. This will balance the traffic from each NIC to be handled by a different CPU core, while minimizing the impact of inter-cpu cache thrashes.

You are absolutely right. Just turning off bridging increased the speed
to ~800,000 pps. After that the kernel started dropping packets again.
Weird, because my gut feeling would say that just copying packets from
one interface to another requires less work than routing them.

Thanks again for your reply!

Regards,

Jorrit