Date:	Thu, 15 Apr 2010 13:25:26 -0700
From:	Rick Jones <rick.jones2@...com>
To:	hadi@...erus.ca
CC:	David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>, eric.dumazet@...il.com,
	therbert@...gle.com, netdev@...r.kernel.org, robert@...julf.net,
	xiaosuo@...il.com, andi@...stfloor.org
Subject: Re: rps perfomance WAS(Re: rps: question

jamal wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-04-15 at 09:41 -0700, Rick Jones wrote:
>

>>IPS (~= RPS) was running on shared FSB HP9000's.  Now, that was also a BSD
>>networking stack with netisrq's and the like.  TOPS (~= RFS) was also run on
>>shared FSB HP9000s, as well as CC-NUMA HP9000s and Integrity systems.  TOPS was
>>implemented in a Streams-based stack tracing its history to a common ancestor
>>with Solaris (Mentat).
>

> Sounds interesting.
> Wikipedia information overload. Any arch description of the HP9000?

I should have been more specific - HP 9000 Model 800's :) PA-RISC based business
computers running HP-UX.  In the case of IPS, HP-UX 10.20 ca 1995 or so.

> Did your scheme use IPIs to message the other CPUs?

Netisrs were kernel processes one per CPU (back then a core, a processor and a
CPU were one and the same :), and while we didn't call them IPI's, yes, it was a
"soft interrupt" directed at the given processor to launch the netisr if it
wasn't already running.

TOPS was similar, but was with Streams and that did/does have some kernel
processes not everything would happen as a kernel process.

rick jones

HP 3000 Model 900's - by and large the same PA-RISC hardware but running MPE/XL
(later called MPE/iX)
HP 9000 Model 700's - PA-RISC based workstations
HP 9000 Model 300's - Moto 68K-based workstations (replaced by the 700s)