Date:	Fri, 23 Apr 2010 23:21:41 -0700
From:	Anirban Chakraborty <anirban.chakraborty@...gic.com>
To:	Chris Wright <chrisw@...hat.com>
CC:	Scott Feldman <scofeldm@...co.com>,
	David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>,
	Arnd Bergmann <arnd@...db.de>,
	Ameen Rahman <ameen.rahman@...gic.com>,
	Amit Salecha <amit.salecha@...gic.com>,
	Rajesh Borundia <rajesh.borundia@...gic.com>,
	"shemminger@...tta.com" <shemminger@...tta.com>
Subject: Re: eSwitch management

On Apr 23, 2010, at 4:04 PM, Chris Wright wrote:

> * Anirban Chakraborty (anirban.chakraborty@...gic.com) wrote:

>>> Yes, and while the set of callbacks can change, they are always tied to
>>> some net_device (typically the PF) that knows how to make hardware
>>> settings on behalf of a VF.

>>> Is there a PCI function that represents the switch?  Or a special PCI
>>> NIC function that has VEB mgmt plane access?  And do you have examples
>>> of configuration that you'll do here?
>>
>> There is no PCI function that represents the switch. However, one
>> of the NIC functions can act as a privileged function to configure the
>> eswitch. Typically the first NIC function that is enumerated in the bus
>> manages the eswitch. Typical configurations would be to set tx bandwidth,
>> VLAN ID, MAC address, promiscuous mode setting for each of these ports
>> at the start of the day. This is useful in virtualization scenario where
>> we can do PCI passthru of the functions to the guest and these settings
>> for the guest are configured via the driver in the host.
>
> (btw, this is not uncommon, there other adapters that have multiple
> functions for a single physical port that is not SR-IOV based)
>
> How does the privileged function identify the other functions?  IOW, the
> existing SR-IOV ndo callbacks have most of the above (tx bw control, mac,
> vlan id), and have an 'int vf' which is basically just a driver specific
> identifier to a non-privileged function or set of hw resources.  It looks
> like you can use the existing bits (just need to expand a little).
>
> So far we have only:
>
> - tx bw control
> - set mac addr
> - set vlan id
>
> You've additionally identified:
>
> - set promiscuous mode
>
> I'm also aware of:
>
> - setting port aggregation
> - issuing a function reset
> - setting port mirroring or bcast/mcast replication
> - setting anti-spoofing (mac/vlan..)
> - setting security/filtering
> - getting port statistics
> - ...whatever else I'm forgetting
Scott's latest patch already addressed some of these. May be we should add the missing pieces, e.g. setting promiscuous mode, port mirroring etc. from the above list to ndo_ops. Function reset should be handled via FLR.

>> <snip>
>>>
>>> One idea that has been discussed in the past is to create essentially
>>> a pluggable set of bridge_ops.  The first step would be purely internal
>>> shuffling, to make the existing sw bridge code go through the bridge_ops.
>>> The second step would be making your driver for whichever PCI function
>>> you have that supports managing the bridge create a net_device which is
>>> a bridge during driver init.  And now normal brctl can call into your
>>> VEB via the bridge_ops callbacks. </handwave>
>>>
>> I liked the idea of iovnl as it works by utilizing port profile. That way the eswitch can be configured with the same port profile that a vswitch in a hypervisor has.
>
> I don't quite follow you here.
If I am not mistaken, port profile is supposed to keep configuration data of a NIC port and a software vswitch typically residing at the host uses it. When there are multiple physical NICs (on the same physical port) in the hypervisor, there are multiple vswitches created for each of the pNICs. The inter vm traffic in this case goes via the eswitch and thats where the eswitch configuration for these ports comes into picture.

thanks,
Anirban--