Date:	Tue, 27 Apr 2010 17:50:34 +0200
From:	Jiri Bohac <jbohac@...e.cz>
To:	David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>
Cc:	jbohac@...e.cz, herbert@...dor.apana.org.au,
	yoshfuji@...ux-ipv6.org, netdev@...r.kernel.org,
	shemminger@...tta.com
Subject: Re: IPv6: race condition in __ipv6_ifa_notify() and dst_free() ?

On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 06:54:00PM -0700, David Miller wrote:
> From: Jiri Bohac <jbohac@...e.cz>
> Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 17:49:08 +0200
>
> > I still don't see why __ipv6_ifa_notify() needs to call
> > dst_free(). Shouldn't that be dst_release() instead, to drop the
> > reference obtained by dst_hold(&ifp->rt->u.dst)?
>
> It likely wants to do both.
>
> Just doing dst_release() doesn't mark the 'dst' object as obsolete,
> and therefore it won't get force garbage collected.

Sure. So If I understand it correctly, there are two problems:

- the reference taken by dst_hold() just above the ip6_del_rt()
  is never dropped if ip6_del_rt() fails; so shouldn't the code
  be like this?:

	dst_hold(&ifp->rt->u.dst);
	if (ip6_del_rt(ifp->rt)) {
		dst_release(&ifp->rt->u.dst);
		dst_free(&ifp->rt->u.dst);
	}

- if ip6_del_rt() fails because it races with something else
  deleting the address, dst_free() will be called twice. This is
  what Herbert is fixing with additional locking. However -- even
  when he fixes that -- how can ip6_del_rt() fail with the
  ifp->rt still needing a dst_free()?
  AFAICS, it can fail by:
  	- __ip6_del_rt() finding that (rt ==
	  net->ipv6.ip6_null_entry); we don't want to call
	  dst_free() on net->ipv6.ip6_null_entry, do we?

	- fib6_del() returning -ENOENT for multiple reasons;
	  but doesn't that mean that something else has removed
	  the route already and called dst_free on it?

  In either case, the dst_free() looks like not being needed. And it only
  does no harm in most cases, because these events are rare and
  it usually finds (obsolete > 2) and does nothing.

  I think that what Herbert is doing is only going to enforce that
  the ip6_del_rt() is never going to fail, so the dst_free()
  won't ever be called anyway, right?

Thanks,

--
Jiri Bohac <jbohac@...e.cz>