Date:	Mon, 03 May 2010 13:37:20 +0200
From:	Stefan Agner <stefan@...er.ch>
To:	Lennert Buytenhek <buytenh@...tstofly.org>
Cc:	netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: ep93xx_eth stopps receiving packages

Quoting Lennert Buytenhek <buytenh@...tstofly.org>:

> On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 05:38:13PM +0200, Stefan Agner wrote:
>
>> I'm using Linux 2.6.32.9 on a technologic systems TS-7250 SBC board, with
>> the ep93xx_eth driver for networking. On three identical, but independent
>> systems I noted that the system is unreachable after a while. On a serial
>> terminal I noted that only the TX counter counts onward, RX stays where it
>> is,
>> no matter if i try to ping from or to the system. Wireshark tells me exactly
>> that too: I see helpless ARP requests which gets answered, but no ICMP. The
>> system doesnt receive the ARP requests, and just sends another one.
>
> (So does the board or does it not respond to ARP requests for its IP?)
The board does not responds to ARP requests for its IP...

>> With a simple program which sends small packages in a fast pace I can
>> reproduce the problem after several seconds (additional CPU load seem to
>> provoke the problem even more). Remove and replug the network cable doesn't
>> solve the problem, but ifup/down does. I don't see any messages in dmesg,
>> memory is still available.
>
> Do you see interrupts increasing in /proc/interrupts when this happens?
No, interrupt doesn't increase anymore when it happens...

I debugged the problem myself inbetween, I just took not the time to format
and send the patch, sorry! There is a bug when interrupts gets disabled for
a longer period, each a frame arrives when one is just been processed.
ep93xx_rx gets called twice then, and the second time marks to many buffers
as relased. I corrected this error by releasing the correct number of buffers
when ep93xx_poll ends... Patch follows!

Stefan

--
Stefan Agner