Date:	Wed, 16 Jun 2010 08:37:03 +0200
From:	Eric Dumazet <eric.dumazet@...il.com>
To:	Mitchell Erblich <erblichs@...thlink.net>
Cc:	netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Proposed linux kernel changes : scaling  tcp/ip stack : 3rd
 part

Le mardi 15 juin 2010 à 23:09 -0700, Mitchell Erblich a écrit :
> On Jun 15, 2010, at 8:30 PM, Mitchell Erblich wrote:

> >> Lets start with a two part Linux kernel change and a tcp input/output change:
> >>
> >> 2 Parts: 2nd part TBD

> >> sk buf allocs. 1 line change in tcp_output.c with a new gfp.h arg, and a change
> >> in the generic kernel. TBD.
> >>
> >> This change should have no effect with normal available kernel mem allocs.
> >>
> >> Assuming memory pressure ( WAITING for clean memory) we should be allocating
> >> our last pages for input skbufs and not for xmit allocs.
> >>
> >> By delaying skbuf allocations when we have low kmem, we secondarily slow down the
> >> tcp flow : if in slow start (SS) we are almost doing a DELACK, else CA should/could
> >> decrease the number of in-flight ACKs and the peer should do burst avoidance
> >> if our later ack increases the window in a larger chunk..
> >>
> >> And use the last pages to decrease the chance of dropping a input pkt or
> >> running out of recv descriptors, because of mem back pressure.
> >>
> >> The change could check for some form of mem pressure before the alloc,
> >> but the alloc in itself should suffice. We could also do a ECN type check before
> >> the alloc.
> >>
> >> Now the kicker.  I want a GFP_KERNEL with NO_SLEEP OR a GFP_ATOMIC and
> >> NOT use emergency pools, thus CAN FAIL, to have 0 other secondary effects
> >> and change just the 1 arg.
> >>
> >> code : tcp_output.c : tcp_send_ack()
> >>  line : buff = alloc_skb(MAX_TCP_HDR, GFP_KERNEL_NSLEEP);   /* with a NO SLEEP */
> >>
> >> Suggestions, feedback??
> >>
> >> Mitchell Erblich
> >>

> > Sorry :),
> >
> > 		2nd part:
> >
> > 		use GFP_NOWAIT as 2nd arg to alloc_skb()
> >
> > Mitchell Erblich
>
> Going in the same direction,
>

> If tcp_out_of_resources() and the number of orphaned sockets is above
> a configured number (maybe because of DoS attack), SHOULD we consume
> our last available resources and most likely effect skbufs that we aren't
> reset-ing because NOW the recv sk allocs are failing.
>
> thus,
> file tcp_timer.c : tcp_out_of_resources()
> suggestion change 2nd arg GFP_ATOMIC: tcp_send_active_reset(sk, GFP_NOWAIT);
>
> Please note that even if we believed that the GFP_ATOMIC would have a higher
> probability to send a TCP pkt/seg, that gives us no guarantee that the peer
> will recv it or will process it.
>
> We COULD also do some form of ECN in this function to inform the peer that our
> system is in distress if tcp_send_active_reset() did not return void and informed
> us of a mem alloc failure with the GFP_NOWAIT.
>
> Since the ECN would benefit the our node/system, this ECN sending event COULD
> be argued to have a higher priority and mem argument then sent with a GFP_ATOMIC.
>

> Suggestions, opinions...

1) Acks are about the smallest chunks that are ever allocated in network
stack.

2) Their lifetime is close to 0 us. They are not cloned (queued on a
socket queue), only given to device xmit. Unless you play with trafic
shaping and insane queue lengths, acks should not use more than 0.0001 %
of your ram.

3) Under attack, adding complex algos to try to resist only delay a bit
the moment where nothing can be done to stop the attack. Being clever or
not. Dropping packets is very fine.

4) Maybe all the work you think about is the balance between ATOMIC and
non ATOMIC (GFP_KERNEL) memory allocations ? Some tuning maybe ?
   input path always use ATOMIC ops, being run from sofirq, and cannot
wait.