Date:	Tue, 29 Jun 2010 09:03:49 +0100
From:	Alexander Clouter <alex@...riz.org.uk>
To:	netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [iproute2] iproute2:  Allow 'ip addr flush' to loop more than 10 times.

greearb@...il.com wrote:

> The default remains at 10 for backwards compatibility.
>
> For instance:
> # ip addr flush dev eth2
> *** Flush remains incomplete after 10 rounds. ***
> # ip -l 20 addr flush dev eth2
> *** Flush remains incomplete after 20 rounds. ***
> # ip -loops 0 addr flush dev eth2
> #
>
> This is useful for getting rid of large numbers of IP
> addresses in scripts.

Maybe I am missing a trick, but what is wrong with putting this trivial
logic into the script:

ip addr show ${DEV} | awk '/inet6? / { print $2 }' | xargs -I{} ip addr del '{}' dev ${DEV}

You can probably speed things up with '-P' too, '-P 2' gives me a huge
huge speed up for the work I do with 'ip route'.

If you still have addresses on your interface after the above command,
your looping approach probably would have failed also.

Why the need to cram more functionality and options into iproute when
it is something that can be pushed into the wrapper script?

Cheers

--
Alexander Clouter
.sigmonster says: Lend money to a bad debtor and he will hate you.