Date:	Tue, 29 Jun 2010 08:10:43 -0700
From:	Ben Greear <greearb@...delatech.com>
To:	David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>
CC:	greearb@...il.com, netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [iproute2] iproute2: Allow 'ip addr flush' to loop more than
 10 times.

On 06/28/2010 11:36 PM, David Miller wrote:
> From: Ben Greear<greearb@...delatech.com>
> Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 23:27:39 -0700
>
>> I'm not sure I understand how this loop could have run forever
>> anyway, unless some other process(es) was constantly adding
>> addresses at the same time?  Or maybe some ipv6 auto config thing?
>>
>> It appears there is already code to detect when the loop
>> is done (flushing ~70 IPv4 addresses with -l 0 was one of my
>> test cases, and worked as expected).
>
> What happens is that we are simply limited by how many addresses
> we can delete in one go, and that limit is 4096 bytes of netlink
> message size.
>
> So we have to iterate, reusing that buffer each time, to get them all
> done.
>
> The limit exists because meanwhile it is possible that some other
> entity could add addresses and thus cause us to loop forever and
> never actually delete all of the addresses because every time we
> delete a bunch the other entity adds more.
>
> I can understand the reasoning behind the limit, because if this is
> run by something automated it's not like someone is at the command
> line and hit Ctrl-C to break out of a looping instance.
>
> But practically speaking I bet this never happens.
>
> So what makes sense to me is:
>
> 1) Loop forever by default.
>
> 2) When the number of loops exceeds a threshold (calculated by the
>     number of addresses we see the first dump, divided by the number
>     of deletes we can squeeze into the 4096 byte message), we emit
>     a warning.
>
> 3) A hard limit, off by default, it available via your "-l" new option.
>
> But seriously we can determine forward progress quite easily I think.
>
> Each loop, we see if the dump returns a smaller number of addresses
> than the last iteration.  If so, we just keep going.
>
> If the number of addresses increases, I think we can bail in this
> case.
>
> This logic would only ever trigger iff another entity is adding a
> large number of addresses simultaneously with our flush.  And frankly
> speaking the person doing the flush probably doesn't expect that to be
> happening.  You're flushing all of the addresses so you can start with
> a clean slate and then add specific addresses back, or whatever.

If I understand your proposal properly, this would seem to be
somewhat O(N^2) if we have large numbers of addresses, and I'm
hoping to support thousands of IPs with decent performance.

What do you think about improving the kernel side so that we can send
a single netlink msg to delete all addresses on an interface, and just
let the kernel do the looping/locking needed to make it happen?

Thanks,
Ben

--
Ben Greear <greearb@...delatech.com>