Date:	Thu, 01 Jul 2010 16:55:06 +0100
From:	Ben Hutchings <bhutchings@...arflare.com>
To:	"Allan, Bruce W" <bruce.w.allan@...el.com>
Cc:	David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>,
	"Kirsher, Jeffrey T" <jeffrey.t.kirsher@...el.com>,
Subject: RE: [net-next-2.6 PATCH 1/8] e1000e: cleanup ethtool loopback
 setup code

On Wed, 2010-06-30 at 15:41 -0700, Allan, Bruce W wrote:
> On Friday, June 18, 2010 10:15 PM, David Miller wrote:
> > I've applied this series however:
> >
> > 1) Please address Ben's concerns about turning EEE on by default
> >    given that standardization is not complete yet.
> >
> > 2) I hate module parameters, I'd rather you create a new ethtool
> >    feature bit and thus allow the setting to be modified at run
> >    time.  Please create a new ethtool control flag, and remove
> >    this module option.
> >
> > Thanks.
>
> Hi Dave,
>
> I've been looking into your request number 2 above (as a reminder, it
> had to do with a patch I submitted that added a module parameter to
> e1000e in order to enable/disable Energy Efficient Ethernet for a
> particular type of adapter).
>
> For this new ethtool feature bit/flag for EEE, would you prefer it be
> set via:
> 1) the generic parameter setting option (e.g. -s ethX [eee on|off]),
> 2) yet another new show/change option pair, or
> 3) a new option that can set this new feature and be expandable to
> future features that are likewise not related to existing ethtool
> options (e.g. -F [eee on|off] [whizbang on|off])?

The ethtool utility is maintained by Jeff Garzik, not David.

> For #2 or #3, it makes sense to use ethtool_op_[g|s]et_flags with new
> ETH_FLAG_<feature> and NETIF_F_<feature> defines, but #1 can be
> implemented that way or by using remaining reserved elements of struct
> ethtool_cmd - if your preference is for #1, would you prefer it be
> implemented with the former or latter?

I don't think this belongs in the netdev features because it's nothing
that the networking stack needs to care about.  It could go in the
ethtool flags though currently the ethtool utility assumes those are
only for protocol offload/acceleration features.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings, Senior Software Engineer, Solarflare Communications
They asked us to note that Solarflare product names are trademarked.