Date:	Mon, 30 Aug 2010 09:50:12 -0700 (PDT)
From:	David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>
To:	shemminger@...tta.com
Cc:	jarkao2@...il.com, eric.dumazet@...il.com,
	herbert@...dor.apana.org.au, netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [RFC] gro: Is it ok to share a single napi from several devs ?

From: Stephen Hemminger <shemminger@...tta.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 08:57:21 -0700

> On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 06:42:31 +0000
> Jarek Poplawski <jarkao2@...il.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2010-08-29 20:39, Eric Dumazet wrote:
>> > Le dimanche 29 aoĂťt 2010 Ă  10:06 -0700, David Miller a ĂŠcrit :

>> > It does the check, Stephen added it in the commit I mentioned to start
>> > this thread.
>> >
>> > With net-next-2.6 this now reads :
>> >

>> Since Stephen didn't seem to miss this too much it seems quite obvious
>> to me this check should be removed.
>
> No. I just don't use that system much, breaking code for
> sake of one comparison is ridiculous.

It's not working to begin with.

I agree with Jarek that the check should be removed.  And GRO is one
of those places that, precisely, even one memory reference removal
can improve performance dramatically.

Herbert spent a lot of time doing micro-optimizations to make GRO
better and better, and the smallest things can turn out to make a huge
difference there.