Date:	Mon, 30 Aug 2010 15:15:25 -0700
From:	"Rose, Gregory V" <gregory.v.rose@...el.com>
To:	Arnd Bergmann <arnd@...db.de>
CC:	Ben Pfaff <blp@...ira.com>,
	Jesse Gross <jesse@...ira.com>,
	Stephen Hemminger <shemminger@...ux-foundation.org>,
	Chris Wright <chrisw@...s-sol.org>,
	Herbert Xu <herbert@...dor.apana.org.au>,
	David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>
Subject: RE: [rfc] Merging the Open vSwitch datapath

Yes, and 802.1Qbh.

 Why would you want kernel support? There is
>already support for VEPA in the kernel, and 802.1ad provider bridges
>should probably be added in order to support multi-channel setups.

I should probably read up a bit more on 802.1ad.

>The other parts are configuration protocols like LLDP and CDP, which
>we normally do in user space (e.g. lldpad).
>
>What else is there that you think should go into the kernel.

It seems to me that the IFLA_VF_INFO netlink attributes are station oriented.  The kernel support I see there is insufficient for some other things that need to be done for access control, forwarding rules and actions taken on certain kind of packets.  I think there'll be a need to configure the switch itself, not just the stations attached to the switch.

>> As you mention netlink is easier to extend and I think
>> it would be a great way to add support for NIC EVB in the kernel.
>> But even with a kernel interface there is still no user level tool.
>
>Using the same interface as Open vSwitch would be really nice to
>configure a NIC bridge sounds interesting if we want to speed up
>Open vSwitch, but I don't think it makes any sense for the EVB
>protocols. Quite the contrary, you typically want the NIC to
>get out of the way and do all the bridging in the external
>switch in case of VEPA. Or you actually want to use features of
>the software bridge implementation like iptables.

What if the NIC is the external switch?  I mean, what if the NIC has an edge virtual bridge embedded in it?  The IFLA_VF_INFO messages are sufficient for many features but there are some that it doesn't address.  And I don't know of any way to get iptables rules down to the VF using existing kernel interfaces.  Perhaps I missed something.

>One idea that we have discussed in the past is to use the macvlan
>netlink interface to create ports inside a NIC. This interface
>already exists in the kernel, and it allows both bridged and VEPA
>interfaces. The main advantage of this is that the kernel can
>transparently create ports either using software macvlan or
>hardware accelerated functions where available.

This actually sounds like a good idea.  I hadn't thought about that.  It would cover one of the primary issues I'm dealing with right now.

- Greg