Date:	Sat, 04 Sep 2010 08:51:35 +0200
From:	Eric Dumazet <eric.dumazet@...il.com>
To:	Chetan Loke <chetanloke@...il.com>
Cc:	Bhavesh Davda <bhavesh@...are.com>,
	"pv-drivers@...are.com" <pv-drivers@...are.com>,
	"therbert@...gle.com" <therbert@...gle.com>
Subject: Re: [Pv-drivers] rps and pvdrivers

Le vendredi 03 septembre 2010 à 18:39 -0400, Chetan Loke a écrit :
> Hi Bhavesh,
>
> On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 5:05 PM, Bhavesh Davda <bhavesh@...are.com> wrote:
>

> > I presume you're talking about the vmxnet3 vNIC here? What version of the VMware hypervisor are you observing this with? Could you share the vmware.log (and potentially the vmkernel log) file from the VM where you're seeing this?
> >

> Yes its vmxnet3 on esx 4.1. I've attached the vm-log file. Its easy to
> reproduce - A simple 'rcvfrom' loop on a promiscuous interface.

Reproduce what exactly ?

I dont understand what the problem is, reading your description.

RPS is not automatically switched on, you have to configure it.

echo ffff >/sys/class/net/eth0/queues/rx-0/rps_cpus

Same for RFS if you prefer to use RFS

echo 16384 >/sys/class/net/eth0/queues/rx-0/rps_flow_cnt

If you receive a flood, your cpu stay in NAPI mode, and no hardware
interrupt is received while you process xxx.xxx packets per second.