Date:	Thu, 21 Oct 2010 13:22:01 -0700
From:	John Fastabend <john.r.fastabend@...el.com>
To:	Stephen Hemminger <shemminger@...tta.com>
CC:	Debashis Dutt <ddutt@...cade.COM>,
Subject: Re: Question w.r.t debugfs / netdevice pass-through IOCTL

On 10/20/2010 9:19 PM, Stephen Hemminger wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Oct 2010 20:26:50 -0700
> Debashis Dutt <ddutt@...cade.COM> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> For the Brocade 10G Ethernet driver (bna) we want to implement a set of operations which is not supported by current tools like ethtool.
>>
>> Examples of such operations would be
>>        a) Queries related to CEE, if the link is CEE.

Assuming CEE is Converged Enhanced Ethernet here.

For CEE queries please consider using the dcbnl interface in /net/dcb/dcbnl.c. If
it is missing an interface that would be useful to all DCB devices we could
entertain adding it. Also this way DCB queries will work with existing tools that
query these things lldpad/dcbtool.

The things you would want to know about a CEE device should be about the same
regardless of the hardware in use lets try to use a single interface and avoid
private interfaces.

Thanks,
John.