Date:	Tue, 09 Nov 2010 18:40:07 +0000
From:	Ben Hutchings <bhutchings@...arflare.com>
To:	Kevin Wilson <wkevils@...il.com>
Cc:	netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: alloc_netdev_mq() and multiqueues

On Tue, 2010-11-09 at 20:33 +0200, Kevin Wilson wrote:
> Hello,
> I have a short question about multiqueues  and I will appreciate if
> somebody can answer shortly in 2-3 sentences.
> When talking about multiqueues  I refer for example, to
> http://nfws.edenwall.com/nfws_userday/David-Miller_Linux-Multiqueue-Networking.pdf,
> alloc_netdev_mq() and friends.
>
> 1) Does an ordinary network driver code can be adjusted to use
> multiqueues ? or do we need some
> special hardware feature ?

This feature is only useful if the hardware has multiple transmit
queues.

> 2) How can I know if a certain device support multiqueus?\

Read the hardware specs.

> 3) Can anybody name some network cards which support  multiqueues?

'git grep -l dev_mq drivers/net' will show you which drivers do.  I have
no knowledge beyond this of which hardware has multiple queues.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings, Senior Software Engineer, Solarflare Communications
They asked us to note that Solarflare product names are trademarked.