Date:	Tue, 9 Nov 2010 21:20:09 +0100 (CET)
From:	Jan Engelhardt <jengelh@...ozas.de>
To:	Thomas Graf <tgraf@...radead.org>
cc:	Patrick McHardy <kaber@...sh.net>,
	"David S. Miller" <davem@...emloft.net>, pablo@...filter.org,
	netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Netlink limitations

On Tuesday 2010-11-09 15:49, Thomas Graf wrote:

>We have tried to come up with ways of forwarding netlink messages to
>other machines several times. It always failed due to the fact that
>protocols encode attributes/data differently without having the
>ability to specify the encoding.

What's more, there is no way to specify a remote host in sockaddr_nl
right now, so all communication is necessarily being local - that is,
unless you add a hidden forwarder in kernel space that transparently
tunnels it into IPv6 or something.

>I haven't given up on the idea of self describing netlink protocols
>yet. For example we could encode the attribute type
>(i8|u16|u32|u16|string) in additional to the existing nested attribute
>flag.

I do not believe that encoding the attribute type into the protocol
itself is going to be such a big win. You still need a local
authoritative database (struct nla_policy[] or some representation of
it, nevermind I'm thinking "XML-DTD"-like) to do the verification
against because some NL messages may be purposely forged. If you have
an nlattr that says it is a string, how do you know that it is in
fact a string rather than a blob that happens to have a trailing \0.