Date:	Wed, 08 Dec 2010 10:54:40 -0800
From:	Dimitris Michailidis <dm@...lsio.com>
To:	Ben Hutchings <bhutchings@...arflare.com>
CC:	Vladislav Zolotarov <vladz@...adcom.com>,
	Peter Waskiewicz <peter.p.waskiewicz.jr@...el.com>,
	David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>
Subject: Re: (Lack of) specification for RX n-tuple filtering

Ben Hutchings wrote:
>>> It looks like drivers for devices that use TCAMs should implement the
>>> RXNFC interface instead.
>>>
>> Ben, from ethtool manpage it sounds like RXNFC option defines the way
>> the RSS hash should be calculated, while SRXNTUPLE is meant to control
>> the destination Rx queue for a stream specified by a filter/filters.
>
> By 'RXNFC interface' I mean ETHTOOL_{G,S}RXCLS* and not
> ETHTOOL_{G,S}RXFH which wrongly share (part of) the same structure..
>
>> The
>> semantics for a specification of the steam is also quite different. For
>> instance, how do u define a rule to drop all packets with source IP
>> address 192.168.10.200 by means of RXNFC?
>
> Something like this, I think:
>
> struct ethtool_rxnfc insert_rule = {
> 	.cmd = ETHTOOL_SRXCLSRLINS,
> 	.flow_type = IP_USER_SPEC,
> 	.fs = {
> 		.flow_type = IP_USER_SPEC,
> 		.h_u.usr_ip4_spec = {
> 			.ip4src = inet_aton("192.168.10.200"),
> 			.ip_ver = ETH_RX_NFC_IP4
> 		},
> 		.m_u.usr_ip4_spec = {
> 			.ip4dst = 0xffffffff,
> 			.l4_4_bytes = 0xffffffff,
> 			.tos = 0xff,
> 			.proto = 0xff
> 		},
> 		.ring_cookie = RX_CLS_FLOW_DISC,
> 		.location = 0,
> 	}
> };

I think the mask would be 0 for don't care fields and 1 for care, so

	.m_u.usr_ip4_spec.ip4src = htonl(0xffffffff)
	.m_u.usr_ip4_spec.ip4dst = htonl(0)
etc

There's a lot of overlap between SRXCLSRLINS and SRXNTUPLE and neither is a
superset.  SRXCLSRLINS has the advantage of specifying position but
SRXNTUPLE includes vlan and a device-specific field that are handy.

Also for reporting rules GRXNTUPLE is more flexible than GRXCLSRULE as it
lets the driver specify the information it reports.  In fact I've been
thinking of using SRXCLSRLINS and GRXNTUPLE for cxgb4 but haven't gotten
over the ugliness of that yet.

> [...]
>> I also agree with Dimitris: what we have here is an offload of some
>> Netfilter functionality to HW. Regardless the HW implementation (TCAM or
>> not) if it's allowed to configure more than one rule for the same
>> protocol the ordering of filtering rules is important: for instance if u
>> change the order of applying the rules in the example below the result
>> of the filtering for the traffic with both VLAN 4 and destination port
>> 3000 will be different.
>
> Our hardware (and, I suspect, the ixgbe hardware) has hash tables for
> specific types of matching.  There is some control of precedence between
> different types of match, but that's all.
>
>> ethtool -U ethX flow-type tcp4 vlan 4 action 0
>> ethtool -U ethX flow-type tcp4 dst-port 3000 action 3
>>
>> By the way it's also unclear from the ethtool man page if it's allowed
>> to configure more than one rule for the same protocol. If it's not then
>> the above example is void... ;)
>
> It's allowed, but precedence is unspecified.
>
>> However, if we want to define a proper
>> filtering interface I think we shouldn't restrict the driver
>> implementation from defining a set of rules for the same protocol,
>> allowing not to though.
>>
>> So, I think that attaching an index to each rule could be a good idea -
>> this would allow us both inserting rules at the desired positions in the
>> filtering rule table and editing the existing rules.
>
> This really sounds like the RXNFC interface.
>
>> It's also unclear what is the relation between RXNFC and SRXNTUPLE. The
>> last in general may override the decision made based on the hash result.
>> So, it sounds like applying rules of SRXNTUPLE should come before
>> applying the RSS logic and only if there was no match RSS should be
>> applied to that frame. Do I get it right?
>
> That's right.

It can be more involved than this.  Our HW allows a rule to select a
different part of the RSS table so you get a filter hit and still do RSS
afterwards if you want.  Current ethtool interfaces do not support this,
basically it would be a different action for either SRXNTUPLE or SRXCLSRLINS.