Date:	Wed, 22 Dec 2010 15:39:48 -0800
From:	Simon Kirby <sim@...tway.ca>
To:	Eric Dumazet <eric.dumazet@...il.com>
Cc:	Simon Horman <horms@...ge.net.au>, netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: TSO/GRO/LRO/somethingO breaks LVS on 2.6.36

On Thu, Dec 09, 2010 at 03:51:59AM +0100, Eric Dumazet wrote:

> Le mercredi 08 d??cembre 2010 ?? 18:35 -0800, Simon Kirby a ??crit :
>
> > Right.  So, on 2.6.35, ethtool shows:
> >
> > # ethtool -k eth1
> > Offload parameters for eth1:
> > rx-checksumming: on
> > tx-checksumming: on
> > scatter-gather: on
> > tcp segmentation offload: on
> > udp fragmentation offload: off
> > generic segmentation offload: on
> > large receive offload: off
> >
> > # ethtool -k eth1.39
> > Offload parameters for eth1.39:
> > rx-checksumming: on
> > tx-checksumming: off
> > scatter-gather: off
> > tcp segmentation offload: off
> > udp fragmentation offload: off
> > generic segmentation offload: off
> > large receive offload: off
> >
> > On 2.6.36, ethtool shows:
> >
> > # ethtool -k eth1
> > Offload parameters for eth1:
> > rx-checksumming: on
> > tx-checksumming: on
> > scatter-gather: on
> > tcp segmentation offload: on
> > udp fragmentation offload: off
> > generic segmentation offload: on
> > large receive offload: off
> >
> > # ethtool -k eth1.39
> > Offload parameters for eth1.39:
> > rx-checksumming: on
> > tx-checksumming: on
> > scatter-gather: on
> > tcp segmentation offload: on
> > udp fragmentation offload: off
> > generic segmentation offload: on
> > large receive offload: off
> >
> > And if I set it with ethtool -K eth1.39 gso off; ethtool -K eth1 gso off,
> > it says "off", but I still see merged frames, as verified with an nc <
> > /dev/zero and tcpdump -i any -n 'length > 1500'.
>
> Yep, but you also have "tso on" by default on 2.6.36 and eth1.39 (vlan)

and turning it off makes no difference, either.  Even if I down/up the
interface after.  I still see merged packets on receive, even if I try to
use ethtool to turn off everything that is "on".  It's as if the new code
to enable it on vlans works, but the disable from ethtool does not.

In other words, I cannot find a way to disable it (and thus make LVS
work) on 2.6.36 or 2.6.37-rc6.

One interesting note is that if I destroy and recreate the VLAN interface,
it comes back with gso enabled:

# ethtool -K eth1 gso off
# ethtool -K eth1.39 gso off
# ethtool -K eth1 tso off
# ethtool -K eth1.39 tso off
# ifdown eth1.39
Removed VLAN -:eth1.39:-
# ifconfig eth1 down
# ifup eth1.39
Added VLAN with VID == 39 to IF -:eth1:-
[...]
# ifdown eth1.39; ifup eth1.39
Removed VLAN -:eth1.39:-
Added VLAN with VID == 39 to IF -:eth1:-
# ethtool -k eth1.39
Offload parameters for eth1.39:
rx-checksumming: on
tx-checksumming: on
scatter-gather: on
tcp segmentation offload: off
udp fragmentation offload: off
generic segmentation offload: on
large receive offload: off

So, the bug seems to related using it on VLANs.

Simon-