Date:	Tue, 18 Jan 2011 22:49:21 +0000
From:	Mr Dash Four <mr.dash.four@...glemail.com>
To:	Jan Engelhardt <jengelh@...ozas.de>,
	Jozsef Kadlecsik <kadlec@...ckhole.kfki.hu>,
	netfilter-devel@...r.kernel.org, netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [patch 2/4] ipset: make IPv4 and IPv6 address handling similar

> You shouldn't use hash:ip with ranges for IPv4 too because the range
> members are added individually, which is less efficient both memory
> and performance wise, see:
>
>  $ ipset create foo hash:ip hashsize 64
>  $ ipset add foo 192.168.1.0/30
>  $ ipset list foo
>  Name: foo
>  Type: hash:ip
>  Header: family inet hashsize 64 maxelem 65536
>  Size in memory: 628
>  Members:
>  192.168.1.3
>  192.168.1.2
>  192.168.1.0
>  192.168.1.1

I disagree!

If I need to add the 192.168.1.0/30 then I have to execute a loop (via a
script) and add individual elements (i.e. ipset add foo 192.168.1.0,
ipset add foo 192.168.1.1 etc).

By specifying ipset add foo 192.168.1.0/30 I do that in one go. Even
though I am inclined to agree that storing individual elements may not
be the best way memory/storage wise I think performance wise (i.e. when
the actual matching is performed) it is better matching a single IP
address than IP range.