Date:	Sun, 23 Jan 2011 19:24:16 +1100
From:	Stephen Hemminger <shemminger@...tta.com>
To:	David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>
Cc:	stephen.hemminger@...tta.com, ebiederm@...ssion.com,
	jbohac@...e.cz, brian.haley@...com, netdev@...r.kernel.org,
	maheshkelkar@...il.com, lorenzo@...gle.com,
	yoshfuji@...ux-ipv6.org, stable@...nel.org
Subject: Re: [RFC] ipv6: don't flush routes when setting loopback down

On Sat, 22 Jan 2011 21:42:54 -0800 (PST)
David Miller <davem@...emloft.net> wrote:

> From: Stephen Hemminger <stephen.hemminger@...tta.com>
> Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2011 20:41:12 -0800 (PST)
>
> > Having IPv6 remove all addresses when link goes down is fundamentally broken
> > that is what the original problem being fixed. For users on servers or using
> > Quagga this matters, how do you plan to fix that?
>
> How about in a way that doesn't break stuff?
>
> And it's been beyond proven that people give more of a crap
> about disable_ipv6 than the thing you keep claiming is a big deal.
>
> NOBODY other than you even noticed the issue or made a report about
> it.
>
> Yet we have people actively complaining about disable_ipv6 being
> broken.
>
> So you lose on two counts.  You can't fix things by breaking other
> stuff, and your obscure stuff matters less than things people
> actually notice being broken.

You are probably so upset because I stepped on code you worked hard
on. But the IPv6 semantics should not have been different from IPv4
and the disable_ipv6 flag was a poor API choice as well. Legacy
API's suck, I don't expect perfection but it should be possible
to make a working version that:

Allows disabling IPv6 completely on an interface
AND Has the same address and route semantics for both
IPv4 and IPv6.