Date:	Fri, 04 Feb 2011 12:16:17 +0100
From:	Takashi Iwai <tiwai@...e.de>
To:	Linus Torvalds <torvalds@...ux-foundation.org>
Cc:	Keith Packard <keithp@...thp.com>, Dave Airlie <airlied@...il.com>,
	Carlos Mafra <crmafra2@...il.com>,
	Dave Airlie <airlied@...hat.com>,
	"Rafael J. Wysocki" <rjw@...k.pl>,
	Maciej Rutecki <maciej.rutecki@...il.com>,
	Florian Mickler <florian@...kler.org>,
	Kernel Testers List <kernel-testers@...r.kernel.org>,
	Network Development <netdev@...r.kernel.org>,
	Linux ACPI <linux-acpi@...r.kernel.org>,
	Linux PM List <linux-pm@...ts.linux-foundation.org>,
	Linux SCSI List <linux-scsi@...r.kernel.org>,
	Linux Wireless List <linux-wireless@...r.kernel.org>,
	DRI <dri-devel@...ts.freedesktop.org>
Subject: Re: 2.6.38-rc3-git1: Reported regressions 2.6.36 -> 2.6.37

At Thu, 3 Feb 2011 17:11:14 -0800,
Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 5:05 PM, Keith Packard <keithp@...thp.com> wrote:
> >
> > The goal is to make it so that when you *do* set a mode, DPMS gets set
> > to ON (as the monitor will actually be "on" at that point). Here's a
> > patch which does the DPMS_ON precisely when setting a mode.
>
> Ok, patch looks sane, but it does leave me with the "what about the
> 'fb_changed' case?" question. Is that case basically guaranteed to not
> change any existing dpms state?
>
> > (note, this patch compiles, but is otherwise only lightly tested).
>
> Carlos? Takashi? Ignore my crazy patch, try this one instead. Does it
> fix things for you?

Yes, the patch fixes the issue with xrandr off and on.

However, another issue I reported in that bugzilla still remains:
namely, DPMS value returned via ioctl or obtained via sysfs is
inconsistent with the actually applied value.   The reason is that
there are two places keeping the current DPMS values, in connector and
in crtc device properties.  A similar fix like my patch in the
bugzilla would be still needed, I guess.

thanks,

Takashi