Date:	Sun, 27 Feb 2011 17:01:27 +0100
From:	Sedat Dilek <sedat.dilek@...glemail.com>
To:	Dave Täht <d@...t.net>
Cc:	"John W. Linville" <linville@...driver.com>,
	bloat-devel@...ts.bufferbloat.net, netdev@...r.kernel.org,
	linux-wireless@...r.kernel.org, linux-kernel@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: ANNOUNCE: debloat-testing kernel git tree

On Sun, Feb 27, 2011 at 4:56 PM, Dave Täht <d@...t.net> wrote:
> Sedat Dilek <sedat.dilek@...glemail.com> writes:

>>> ----snip----
>
>>> Excellent. At moment I would recommend building "low latency preempt
>>> desktop" kernels with a high HZ value (400 or 1000), enabling highres
>>> timers, and compiling in SFB as a module. (I'd like the default for SFB
>>> to be "m" rather than "n", too)
>>>

>> These "debloat guys" are fast :-).  I was just preparing my
>> build-system (which I normally use to debianize linux-next kernels).
>> Any other recommendation for kernel-config options?  For example:
>> linux-next has already CONFIG_NET_SCH_CHOKE (but I have unset it).
>
> Enable CHOKe.
>
> The HZ value change is due to my worry that we've smashed latency so
> much in the driver/mac layer that it's interacting with the higher
> layers somewhat badly... So we need to add more hooks to the servo loops
> involved in order to have a normal HZ.
>
>> Which commits are in debloat-testing GIT but not in linux-next tree?
>
> The current list was in the release announcement. More on the way
> (mostly embedded drivers at this point) git pull early and often!
>
>> Are you planning debloat feature for 2.6.39?
>
> Depends on how many testers we get and what the results are.
>
> I feel the eBDP stuff will not be ready during this release cycle. SFB
> and CHOKe are in net-next, so, probably. Various driver patches -
> particularly those that increase the available dynamic range via
> ethtool, (e.g lowering the bottommost TX queue limit to, like, 4,
> especially for home gateways) may make it out if people look harder into
> the issue.
>

>> - Sedat -
>
> --
> Dave Taht
> http://nex-6.taht.net

OK, thanks for the explanations.

Concerning "more drivers":
What would I have to do to modify ath5k?
I looked into the ath9k patch in debloat-testing GIT and it was to mod
some (TX/BUF) values only.
Not sure if ath9k is/was "well" prepared or only a good choice by the
testers/committers as they own such a device.

- Sedat -