Date:	Mon, 28 Feb 2011 09:13:22 -0500
From:	Thomas Graf <tgraf@...radead.org>
To:	Herbert Xu <herbert@...dor.apana.org.au>
Cc:	David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>, rick.jones2@...com,
	therbert@...gle.com, wsommerfeld@...gle.com,
	daniel.baluta@...il.com, netdev@...r.kernel.org
Subject: Re: SO_REUSEPORT - can it be done in kernel?

On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 07:36:59PM +0800, Herbert Xu wrote:
> But please do test them heavily, especially if you have an AMD
> NUMA machine as that's where scalability problems really show
> up.  Intel tends to be a lot more forgiving.  My last AMD machine
> blew up years ago :)

This is just a preliminary test result and not 100% reliable
because half through the testing the machine reported memory
issues and disabled a DIMM before booting the tested kernels.

Nevertheless, bind 9.7.3:

2.6.38-rc5+: 62kqps
2.6.38-rc5+ w/ Herbert's patch: 442kqps

This is on a 2 NUMA Intel Xeon X5560 @ 2.80GHz with 16 cores

Again, this number is not 100% reliably but clearly shows that
the concept of the patch is working very well.

Will test Herbert's patch on the machine that did 650kqps with
SO_REUSEPORT and also on some AMD machines.