Date:	Thu, 3 Mar 2011 19:35:11 +0800
From:	hayeswang <hayeswang@...ltek.com>
To:	'Francois Romieu' <romieu@...zoreil.com>,
	'David Miller' <davem@...emloft.net>
CC:	<netdev@...r.kernel.org>, <sgruszka@...hat.com>
Subject: RE: r8169 disable ASPM patch

Sorry for my late response.

Our hardware engineer says that it has an issue indeed for 8111B (that is, rev
01) when the aspm is enabled. For the other chips, the aspm would affect the
performance. We suggest to disable for stablity.

> Something like :
> [ ] Ack. So far there is no way to handle ASPM reliably on the 816x [
> ]  Not optimal but it is ok as an interim fix. For instance :
>     - if some 816x (8168 ? 810{2, 3} ?) are known broken while others
> are not
>     - it can be mitigated but the fix is not available yet
>     - needs more tester / vendor work
>     - etc.
> [ ] Nak. The adequate fix is ...
>
> > Is there going to be a MAINTAINERS patch that adds Hayes?
> If so what
> > is stalling that?

Realtek would continue handling the kernel. However, the person may be different
for different period. Therefore, I think keeping the current mode is better.

> Realtek nic team asked me privately (end 2010) in rather
> general terms if they could maintain the r8169 kernel driver.
> I have given some relevant pointers for kernel code
> maintenance. Realtek did its housework.
>
> I have stated publicly that I'll ack such a patch if Hayes
> wants to add himself. Hayes was Cced. Either Hayes sends a
> patch or a plain "please do it".

Best Regards,
Hayes