Date:	Wed, 16 Mar 2011 18:13:39 +0000
From:	Ben Hutchings <bhutchings@...arflare.com>
To:	David Miller <davem@...emloft.net>
Cc:	jpirko@...hat.com, netdev@...r.kernel.org,
	linux-wireless@...r.kernel.org, netfilter-devel@...r.kernel.org,
	eric.dumazet@...il.com, linville@...driver.com, kaber@...sh.net
Subject: Re: net-next-2.6 status...

On Wed, 2011-03-16 at 10:42 -0700, David Miller wrote:
> From: Jiri Pirko <jpirko@...hat.com>
> Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 09:40:23 +0100

> >>What do you suggest? To remove unused flags and leave gaps there or to
> >>not to remove the flags at all?
> >
> > Well, the following comment:
> > <quote>
> > /* Private (from user) interface flags (netdevice->priv_flags). */
> > </quote>
> > leads me to think that these flags should not be used by userspace.
> > So maybe it may not be problem to change those values.
>
> Comments don't block user applications from using defines we expose
> to them.  The person who was wise enough to write that comment should
> have also been wise enough to add appropriate __KERNEL__ protection
> to the definitions.

Though, in this case, the priv_flags are not in any way visible to
user-space, so it would be quite hard to find a use for them!

> They were not, therefore we are stuck with them forever.

So should we also expose struct net_device_stats again?  During the
introduction to 64-bit stats I changed and un-exported the definition,
then later had to revert the definition but left it un-exported.  This
broke compilation of iproute2, though in the process it revealed an
existing bug: <http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.network/169764>.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings, Senior Software Engineer, Solarflare
They asked us to note that Solarflare product names are trademarked.