Date:	Thu, 24 Mar 2011 12:18:33 +0800
From:	Bhupesh SHARMA <bhupesh.sharma@...com>
To:	Jan Altenberg <jan@...utronix.de>
Cc:	"wg@...ndegger.com" <wg@...ndegger.com>,
	"kurt.van.dijck@....be" <kurt.van.dijck@....be>,
	"b.spranger@...utronix.de" <b.spranger@...utronix.de>,
Subject: RE: c_can: TX handling

Hi Jan,

Thanks for your work on c_can.
This week has been very busy for me, so please excuse me for the late reply.

> Hi all,
>
> I did some more testing on the SocketCAN driver for the Bosch c_can
> controller and I observed some strange behaviour for the TX handling.
> First of all the TX bytes are not accounted correctly. The reason for
> that
> seems to be quite obvious if we look into c_can_do_tx():
>
> [...]
>
> c_can_inval_msg_object(dev, 0, msg_obj_no);
> val = c_can_read_reg32(priv, &priv->regs->txrqst1);
> if (!(val & (1 << msg_obj_no))) {
>         can_get_echo_skb(dev,
>                         msg_obj_no - C_CAN_MSG_OBJ_TX_FIRST);
>         stats->tx_bytes += priv->read_reg(priv,
>                         &priv->regs->ifregs[0].msg_cntrl)
>                         & IF_MCONT_DLC_MASK;
>
> So, we first invalidate the message object and afterwards we read the
> DLC
> value from the msg_cntrl (which is 0 after invalidating the
> message object) to account the TX bytes. So tx_bytes will always be 0.
> The
> fix should be easy, I think, we can just move
> c_can_inval_msg_object to the end of that loop.

Hmmm..
As far as I remember, *ifconfig* used to provide the correct tx_bytes stats
on my SPEAr board. Let me recheck this again today evening and get back to you.

> The second problem is related to tx_next, which should hold the number
> of
> the oldest CAN frame, which was not on the line:
>
> for (/* nix */; (priv->tx_next - priv->tx_echo) > 0; priv->tx_echo++) {
>         msg_obj_no = get_tx_echo_msg_obj(priv);
>         c_can_inval_msg_object(dev, 0, msg_obj_no);
>         val = c_can_read_reg32(priv, &priv->regs->txrqst1);
>         if (!(val & (1 << msg_obj_no))) {
>                 can_get_echo_skb(dev,
>                                 msg_obj_no - C_CAN_MSG_OBJ_TX_FIRST);
>                 stats->tx_bytes += priv->read_reg(priv,
>                                 &priv->regs->ifregs[0].msg_cntrl)
>                                 & IF_MCONT_DLC_MASK;
>                 stats->tx_packets++;
>         }
> }
>
> But tx_echo is incremented unconditionally and we don't actually track
> the
> number of the oldest unsent frame.
> Let's assume the following scenario: We bring up can0 and send 3
> frames: TX object: 0, 1, 2; 1 and 2 make it on the line, but 0 is
> still pending. If we go through the above loop in that situation, we
> will
> skip message object 0, because the txrqst bit is still set.  We will
> account message object 1 and 2. That's correct, but afterwards tx_echo
> is
> set to 2, BUT the oldest message which is pending is 0. Am I right or
> did
> I get something wrong?
> The operation of c_can_do_tx() is described as follows: "We iterate
> from
> priv->tx_echo to priv->tx_next and check if the packet has been
> transmitted, echo it back to the CAN framework. If we discover a not
> yet
> transmitted package, stop looking for more." The actual
> implementation doesn't seem to stop if we discover a not yet
> transmitted package. But I'm not sure if just stopping might be a
> good idea, because in that case, the echo skb for already transmitted
> messages might be delayed by not yet transmitted messages.

Just to better understand this can you send me your *candump* output
when you see that the message object put earlier in the message RAM
being pending on the line.

Your point seems valid but I want to make sure that this is not done by the
C_CAN core implicitly..

Regards,
Bhupesh